Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017: The Year in Review

...I dunno, I was expecting worse.

People are doing their fair share of '2017 was the worst, I can't wait for 2018', but, to be honest, I'm still giving 2016 the edge for 'worst year'. 2017, while flawed and at times haphazard, still allowed for some nice highlights and truly cool moments. Yes, I'm as willing as anyone else to get on to 2018, but I'd at least like to allow this year its proper memorial.

Like usual, I'll be pointing out specific trends, moments or feelings of the year, involving baseball, cards, and the rest of the world, starting each with 'this was the year that...'. You should know this by now, but here we go..

This was the year that the single biggest baseball star of the year, Aaron Judge, came from my team. And this was also the year that I was perfectly fine with snagging a jersey-shirt of his by the end of the year.

This was the year that Topps, once again, put out an incredibly mailed-in and uninspired flagship set, and doesn't seem to be interested in making any improvements to the formula whatsoever.

This was the year that around half of the current NFL teams in California have made plans to get the hell out. Also, probably unrelated, this was the year that part of California was on fire.

This was the year that they actually made a Blade Runner sequel that was better than the original. I never thought they could do that.

This was the year that I got to attend a game at Yankee Stadium, on Jackie Robinson day, against my least favorite team, the Cardinals. Not only did the Yankees win, but the Cardinals seemed pathetic and lifeless, and CC Sabathia proved the Yanks were smart to stick with him.

This was the year that Queens of the Stone Age put out the single most effective rock album of the year.

This was the year that I finally completed the 1990 Topps set, and the 1992 Stadium Club set. What's next? Not sure. Possibly another SC set?

This was the year that the Philadelphia Phillies put some moves in place to actually look pretty menacing going into the 2018 season. With Rhys Hoskins starting, Carlos Santana at first, Pat Neshek back in the bullpen, and a host of rookies getting their shot, this could be a pretty nice year for them.

This was the year that TV's biggest super villain was a mop that couldn't have waited another minute to fall over.

This was the year that, once again, the best baseball card release of the year was Topps Stadium Club. It's not like anything else comes close.

This was the year that I attended a game at Fenway Park, had some fantastic ballpark food, rooted for the Red Sox as they squeezed past the Indians, witnessed Austin Jackson perform the most amazing catch I've ever seen live, and wasn't found out by Boston police for being a Yankees fan.

This was the year that three of my favorite filmmakers, Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro and Martin McDonagh, released some incredible films that deserve the acclaim they're getting.

This was the year that Topps decided to bring back Gallery as a Wal-Mart exclusive, badly priced, simply designed set. And it was...okay?

This was the year that I flew down to Florida and saw three Spring Training games, and checked out the Twins, Rays and Red Sox facilities. The games were fun, the weather was beautiful, and I got to have Kyle Gibson and Eduardo Escobar sign a ball for me.

This was the year that somehow got the bright idea to make another season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I never thought they could do that.

This was the year that the Philadelphia Eagles had the best record in football. What's more, I ended the year with a Carson Wentz jersey in my closet (as, subsequently, did Carson Wentz).

This was the year that the Houston Astros won their first World Series, and a well-deserved one at that, taking down the Dodgers and Yankees to get there. Not sure if this means any more will be in their future, but I did enjoy seeing them take these games.

This was the year that I made more customs than I've ever made, wrote more posts than I've ever written, and wheeled toward the end of my ninth year of blogging. Don't know how I could have done this.

So that was my 2017. It was seven flavors of crazy, but damn if I didn't enjoy myself. See you all in 2018.

2 comments:

  1. This was the year we lost Chris Cornell... :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh i forgot to friggin' put that one. Chris Cornell, Tom Petty, Chester Bennington, Chuck Berry. Not a kind year for rock'n'roll.

      Delete