Monday, June 18, 2018

A Less-Bitter Blaster of 2018 Topps Series 2

More Series 2, this one in Blaster Form. I'm fine with this set, I'm just not a fan of its downsides. And there are a few. I will still be counting Unneeded Cards, starting over from 0. I might count doubles of ones I already counted from the hanger box if I'm feeling especially grouchy.

GUARANTEED MANUTHINGY: Byron Buxton, Twins. Manufactured Flag. Lovely.

Pack 1-
361- Astros combo dupe
471- Josh Harrison dupe
481- RONALD TORREYES! There's a Yankee that was drastically missing from last box.
575- Adrian Gonzalez as a Met. Photoshopped, and sadly...a finite image, too
Salute Legends of TED WILLIAMS...BLACK PARALLEL #'D TO 299! Very nice! I'll even overlook the Red Sox aspect
Instant Impact of Ryan Braun. It's a bit harder to stomach pulling inserts of him nowadays.
Aaron Judge insert. I don't know what I'm gonna do with all of these, to be honest.
676- Chad Green, our current middle-relief whiz
427- Jordan Montgomery. GUMBY! Yes, injured, but still
411- David Price, back to his old tricks

Pack 2-
3 dupes from box one, including Taylor Motter and Danny Valencia. I'll give you a two-for-one discount. Unneeded Card #1
635- Cody Allen. Kind of an overrated closer, sad to say
391- Ben Zobrist, who's still fantastic for the Cubs, and has a great shot here
FUTURE STARS of Rhys Hoskins. Not an original insert set, but it looks pretty cool, and I'll never turn down a Rhys card
571- CJ Cron. Surprisingly nice PS job on this.
500- Kris Bryant, still awesome
353- Yan Gomes, a pretty pathetic defensive catcher if we're being honest.

Pack 3-
Two dupes from last box
642- Ben Revere. This is a tricky one, as Revere signed with the Reds pre-season, but they dropped him post-Spring Training...at which point the Angels, who he's pictured with, picked him up. So...technically he's still with them, he just hasn't made his season debut yet. Although, seeing how the injuries are piling up in Anaheim, it could happen any moment, so it's not Unneeded.
600- Noah Syndergaard. THOR!
518- Andrew Toles. Also hasn't made his season debut yet, but unlike Revere, isn't likely to for a while. Unneeded Card #2
83T of Ozzie Albies, who's having a great 2018
Aaron Judge insert
390- Jesse Chavez. Pictured with Angels, now with Rangers. Unneeded Card #3
445- Trevor Cahill. Pictured with Royals, now with A's. Unneeded Card #4
557- Jacoby Ellsbury. Hasn't debuted yet on the season due to injuries, but probably will.

Pack 4-
Dupe of Tyler Clippard, which I'll allow
352- Reds TC
468- Rays TC
Salute Throwbacks of Adam Duvall
501- Clayton Richard GOLD #D TO 2018
Future Stars of Manny Margot, who's not having a great sophomore season
519- Reyes Moronta
587- Chris Davis. I could be mean and say Unneeded Number 5, but I won't
689- Jeurys Familia
438- Stephen Vogt. Hasn't debuted this year, and probably won't because of his season-ending injury, but since it might be a CAREER-ending injury, I'll allow it. But beware, the next card that pisses me off might heighten the tally.

Pack 5-
3 dupes
608- Kurt Suzuki. BEAUTIFUL card. Great horizontal shot
552- Kyle Hendricks
503- SHINY Josh Donaldson
Longball Legends of Giancarlo Stanton. A kinda weak insert set. Since it's about a homer he hit as a Marlin, I'll allow the dated uniform.
Legends in the Making of Justin Verlander as an Astro. I still really like these
439- Dustin Pedroia
654- Trayce Thompson. As a Dodger. Since that was THREE UNIFORMS AGO, I will say this is Unneeded Card #5, 6 and 7. That's what you get for not keeping up, Topps

Pack 6-
2 dupes
588- David Wright. This might end up being his final tribute card, so I won't comment.
423- Astros TC
Future Stars of Aaron Judge. That...on top of the insert set with his name on it...MIGHT BE A LITTLE EXCESSIVE, TOPPS.
Legends in the Making of King Felix. He would be if not for his last few seasons
589- Adam Duvall
564- Joey Rickard
406- Kelvin Herrera
627- Matthew Boyd

Pack 7-
683- Adam Eaton dupe
512- Mike Napoli. Pictured with Texas, currently back with the Indians in the minors. Unneeded Card #8
536- Giants TC
614- Twins TC
83T of Sandy Alcantara...who hasn't debuted yet for the Marlins, and we don't know whether or not he'd earn an insert...but okay Topps. Just for that, Unneeded Card #9
Judge insert. I'd include these as Unneeded, but...I'm trying to be just a smidge generous
374- Bradley Zimmer
533- Kennys Vargas. Currently in the minors, but...still played for the Twins this season, so..
435- Matt Holliday as a Yankee. Not unneeded because this is probably his final tribute card...and it's a card of him as a Yankee, so yes, it is needed.
619- Jeremy Hellickson. He's pictured in an O's uniform, which wasn't documented last season, so...I'm torn, but I guess it's needed. I just think most people would want to skip to his Nats tenure.

Pack 8-
513- Mike Zunino
613- Cody Gearing
616- Greg Garcia
Salute Throwbacks of Keon Broxton, who was demoted preseason and has yet to factor into the Brewers' outfield. Unneeded Card #10
Future Stars of Harrison Bader, having a nice debut for St. Louis
Future Stars of Luiz Gohara, whose debut has been alright at best
417- Yolmer Sanchez. Apparently he now goes by Carlos? Alright then?
678- Chad Bettis dupe
667- Jonathan Lucroy. Like the Hellickson, I'll accept it because we don't have documentation of his Rockies tenure as a Topps card.
431- Charlie Blackmon

Pack 9-
592- Gorkys Hernandez
673- Adam Frazier
572- Dillon Maples
492- Jon Jay. Since he actually played in some games for KC pre-Rays-trade, I'm saying this one still has a reason to exist
618- LOU GEHRIG SP. I pulled the Gehrig SP last year, too. Yay for consistency, I guess. Better than pulling a Red Sox SP.
Instant Impact of Trea Turner
Judge Insert
511- Wade Davis, well-shopped into a Colorado jersey
451- Ubaldo Jimenez. .....REALLY, TOPPS? Unneeded Card #11
413- Trevor Bauer. Great card. He looks happy here.

Pack 10-
503- Josh Donaldson. I got the shiny one, so this is technically a dupe?
699- Drew Smyly. It's looking like this guy will get to pitch this year, but I still hate Topps' confidence in him.
550- Corey Seager. GREAT CARD OF THIS GUY.
382- Brandon Guyer. Another nice one, and it's a shame he hasn't produced since the 2016 postseason.
Future Stars of...Trevor Story? I think he's a star by now, guys.
Legends in the Making of Clayton Kershaw. Of course.
441- Danny Santana
576- DIDI GREGORIOUS!
448- Max Kepler
666- Eric Sogard

So, obviously this box had the edge in terms of unnecessary cards, but...still, this product isn't bad, it's just flawed. There's still great photography, and a ton of great star cards. I'll probably get more if I need to...just maybe not for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment