Friday, March 1, 2019

A Blaster of 2019 Topps Heritage


With 2019 Heritage, the product goes into the 70s era of card-collecting, where things would get a bit more experimental in terms of design and production. With this being the 1970 set, this means we're getting close to the point where Heritage is going to start edging out all the great 70s designs I can do customs of (and that's nothing compared to my current custom woes, which requires it own post).

Still, Walmart had Heritage, so I...kind of had to get some. Duty as a collector and all that. 8 packs, 9 cards per.

Pack 1-
This, quite obviously, is what we're working with design wise. Other than some obvious 2019 innovations, like the gradient fade on Castillo's, this is pretty accurate in terms of likeness. I feel like Topps did use the same photo for Barria last year for Heritage though, which is a bit concerning. Why do a High Number series if you're just going to use the same photo for next year's Heritage proper?

The poses are very 1970 Topps. I do wonder how Heritage is going to handle it next year and beyond, when we get some years when Topps embraced action photos. Will Heritage still leave those to Short Prints?

Some highlights- a REALLY COOL DESIGN FOR NEW AGE PERFORMERS THIS YEAR, featuring the mighty Mike Trout, an awesome candid shot for Todd Frazier, and a really fun posed shot for Wilmer Difo. That'd definitely be a 60s Senators card, for sure.

Pack 2-
A pair of Dodgers and a pair of rookies. Again, no criticisms here, other than those pesky copyright logo quotas.

Some star cards. Bryant's is a short-print. I'm also not a fan of Topps' decision to save all the star cards for SPs. Like...if a pleb collector wants to get an Aaron Judge card, he shouldn't have to open 20 packs to get one.

These two were interesting, as they were traded for each other, and these are definitely airbrushings. I have to say that Bruce's is honestly a little better. Maybe it's easier because the M's don't really have gray uniforms, and they had to burn a white one to make Cano's.

Pack 3- Commons. I appreciate wide zooms like Kingery's, even if the hatlessness makes me think we included him last minute in the Realmuto deal.

Highlights. I can finally say I know what James Paxton will look like as a Yankee, and that's not a bad airbrushing either. Bryant's is a '70 Cloth Sticker, which is a nice touch. Pedroia better get some playing time this year. He's too good to David Wright his way onto the bench.

Pack 4- Some commons, but all of people I collect. It'll be nice to see Leonys Martin get substantial playing time in Cleveland this year. Also, looking forward to Victor Arano being part of the SUPER COLOSSAL MEGA-ULTRA PHILLIES BULLPEN this year.

Highlights. kinda surprised Thor isn't an SP. Yaz' Baseball Flashbacks is nice, despite being a BoSox card. Fowler...I really wish he'd get back to his Cubs numbers.

Pack 5- More commons. Kinda odd seeing Joak Soria on the Brewers, even though he's kinda a journeyman at this point. And the product must have printed before Topps caught wind of Chirinos' signing in Houston.

The star cards, definitely. Love Braun's pose. The SP here is...Rhys Hoskins, which would have made it difficult for me, the Philly collector, if I didn't pull it.

 This...is beautiful.

Okay, maybe not the Boston-ness of it all, but the recreation of the 1970 ASG cards. Those are great. Those work. And the backs are awesome too.


Pack 6- I bet the Rangers are growing impatient with Willie Calhoun at this point. Also, how much longer until Yuli Gurriel becomes the Kyle Seager of the Gurriel household?

I know that these WS cards are going to be the basis of a post on a certain iconic Dodger-centric blog,  but i'm fine with them. They're alright.
I also dig the zoom on Nova's. Good airbrushing on that ChiSox cap, too

...and then this happened.

On the one hand, it's a blank white swatch. But on the other hand...it is Cleveland Indians standout Francisco Lindor. To get a hit of this guy during his prime is pretty damned nice. If he keeps it up, it could be worth even more.

Again, would have preferred a jazzier swatch, but...it's still a pretty nice hit

Pack 7-
Commons, but still fine. Villar's looks pretty good. Nice that they got an updated static posed shot of him, post-trade.

Flashier stars. Archer's is close to an action shot, but...mostly because he didn't really have time to do posed stuff in Pittsburgh. I dig the backgrounds in both Reddick's and Morales'.

Beauty across the board here. Those two phenomenal ASG cards, and a sweet-ass New Age Performers of Glibber. The colors and design on that are so cool.

Pack 8- Commons. That Zunino 'shop is pretty damn good.

Stars. The Bour one ain't bad either. Votto's is a Short-Print, and a photo I am familiar with from customizing. Mike Fiers seems happy to be back in Oakland. Andrelton Simmons needs a hug, I think.

We end on Didi. Why? Why not? He's Didi Gregorius.

Pretty solid product, as per usual. I have two rack packs of the stuff in the scanner ready for tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty good job for one box, especially the Lindor relic...and, of course, the nice Niko Goodrum card.
    Always liked Heritage, especially when it takes me back to the 1970s when I was a kid opening up those packs.

    Looking forward to the cards getting to my Walmart (they're always late).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Indians fan/collector, I have to say that is an awesome relic card of Lindor. Keep me in mind if you would want to trade it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a pretty good box with the SPs, the cool inserts and the Lindor hit. Congrats! Looking forward to more scans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really love or hate this year's Heritage. The Sporting News All-Stars subset is nice and I also like the Scratch-Off inserts. Don't think I'll be opening any of this stuff unless I find discounted blasters in a few months.

    ReplyDelete