Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019: The Year in Review

I opened the year 2019 rocking out to 'Man it's so Loud in Here' at the Theatre of Living Arts, as Flans and Linnell rocked it like it was 2001. I am ending the year 2019 having several beverages in my house, eating unhealthy food and collapsing shortly after midnight.

I'm only 24 but I'm embracing middle age.

Anyway. It's New Years Eve, and it's been 365 days since I did the last one, so I'm gonna do another post documenting a bunch of things that happened this year in some ironic fashion. Given the amount of beverages consumed, this might not be as coherent as usual.

Okay, lemme...compose my thoughts. Usually I prep and figure out an order, but I'm just gonna go for it.

This was the year that I made more customs I've ever made for the blog, after a February and March where it became apparent that my usual photo source would be letting me down and I had to rush to find a new one. This is how you recover from defeat. I found a more complex but rewarding process to find photos and make customs, and I'm gonna keep it going for 2020.

This was the year that Beck Hansen put out the best album of the year, and said album was produced by Pharrell Williams, and it was still technically a rock album.

This was the year that Topps brought back Topps Total...as a mishandled online exclusive set. Hashtag thanks Topps.

This was the year that Andrew McCutchen, Bryce Harper, JT Realmuto, Jay Bruce, Corey Dickerson, Jake Arrieta, Jean Segura and Jared Hughes all played for my hometown team...and they still couldn't get past 4th.

This was the year that I found my first card show nickel bins, and they were glorious.

This was the year that The Big Bang Theory had its best episode in like 7 years, and it was the finale, because they didn't wanna decide to be good before then.

This was the year that I went to my therapist and he handed me a bunch of 1972 Topps When they were Young subset cards, and I asked if HE was the one that was crazy.

This was the year that my company moved into an office with the world's single best chicken sandwich on the floor below us. Move over Chick-Fil-A and Popeyes, this place is ten fathoms of legit.

This was the year that I made a serious run at collecting 2019 Topps Archives because every retail story seemed to carry it late in the year instead of carrying anything I wanted [read: Topps Holiday set]. Still working on that set.

This was the year that Rian Johnson made the best movie of the year. Anyone who hasn't seen Knives Out yet needs to.

This was the year that Edwin Encarnacion got to play for the Yankees, and it was pretty cool. Very excited for Gerrit Cole next year.

This was the year that the Washington Nationals won the World Series about a year after my girlfriend moved to the DC metropolitan area. Am now trying to convince her to move back to NYC so the Yanks can get another ring.

This was the year that Game of Thrones and Star Wars suffered a debilitating case of writer incongruity. You can't hand off your saga to another writer and expect things to feel like one unified idea.

This was the year that Panini brought back Leather & Lumber as a 2 packs-for-20-bucks retail set. It was, uh, alright.

This was the year that Mike Trout won his 3rd MVP, Jacob deGrom won his 2nd Cy Young, and Rob Manfred won the right to keep altering the baseballs until the game's completely ruined.

This was the year that I took my dad to his first Old Timers' Day at Yankee Stadium, and we saw Mariano Rivera hit an inside-the-parker. Justin Verlander pitched a gem that day.

This was the year that I saw Hozier in concert, and the dude killed it. One of the best shows I've been to.

This was the year that I got to witness Atlanta decking itself for the Super Bowl. That is one awesome city. Great food, great attitude. Super Bowl was a little half-baked, but the city was shining for it.

This was the year that Topps put out one of its best flagship sets since 2015. There, I said it.

Not a bad year. A little spotty, a little dormant, but not terrible. I'm interested to see where we go in the next decade. The 2020s look to be a pretty exciting one, not just for baseball or the world, but for me. I hope we get to where we wanna go, in general.

Happy New Year to all of you. Enjoy yourselves, but not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment