Thursday, June 11, 2020

Unsurprisingly, A Trip to the Online Dime Box


Some things are self-explanatory.

There's a new site, baseballcardstore.ca, that sells singles for 10 cents that's shown up on other blogs, starting with Fuji's and working its way around? How can I not. I understand I haven't posted in  a month, but some things are surefire.

So I put an order into this site recently, just got it back today, and...it felt like a trip to a 10-cent bin at a card show. Just as the doctor ordered. 

Here now, my findings, punctuated by a cool Wade Boggs Rays card that might fit into my 1999 SC hunt as well.

Current Stuff:

While a lot of my dime box finds skewed towards the 90s and 2000s, I did find a lot of stuff on this site that  was recent, because of course I did. 

One of the things I expressly looked for, because this site operated on a search bar function rather than an organized catalog, is stuff from Andrew McCutchen's subsequent tenures on short-term teams, especially his brief but impressive Giants half-year. Luckily they had a 2018 Topps Legends in the Making of his SF tenure.

They  had some recent Topps inserts, like the 35-year reprints I've enjoyed from them recently, and some guys I collect like Angels Kinsler and Brewers Grandal, both one-year stints.

As I've been  looking for more Stadium Club base, I found some good ones here. Finally landed that Segura card, which I should have had earlier as a Philly guy. Love that Frazier Williamsport Game uniform.

And they also had these 9 2019 Update commons that SOMEHOW didn't make it into the numerous packs I opened of it. That Edwin took way  too long, as did that  D-Backs Jones. Can you imagine that if the season  had gone on, Jones would have been  playing in  Japan?

Topps Inserts:

10 cent inserts is a deal I can't pass up, and I barely find inserts for that much at shows. I try to scoop up the Bunt program inserts whenever I can. Kinda wish they'd figured out a way to carry that trend over to Big League.

I always love finding 2009-10 Turkey Red inserts I don't have  already, and these three legends fit the bill. Man, any Honus Wagner card that emphasizes those blue Bucs uniforms works for me.

These were new to me, and looked so cool that I needed to have them. These are Breaking Out inserts from 2014 Opening Day. SO MUCH GOING ON HERE. Very 90s, even.

I have a guilty pleasure for these 2014 Update Power Players inserts, again on a color scheme thing, so they  thankfully had some of those I needed.

Of course I had to check for First Pitch inserts, and thankfully they  had some 2017 ones that  were new to me. Just in time for Judd Apatow's new movie, too. Also...it's genuinely cool that the Reds let the Old Spice guy throw one out.

They even had some remnants from a personal favorite Opening Day insert, Franchise Flashbacks from 2015, and saw some cool throwbacks from Utley, Cano and Beltre. 

Random Stuff:

Oh yes. This site is good with  random.

Just sifting through sets I wouldn't usually find is a good exercise. This was not only a Gold Label common from 2001, but a gold label common of Johnny Damon on the A's. Very, very rare.

This impressed me- two cards from 2004 Fleer Showcase, a set I've been looking  for star cards from since I started collecting. Nice to see these two ex-Phillies show up here.

2007 Upper Deck Spectrum is a set that is entirely new to me. So it was cool they just had some of these two guys I collect, including a Yankee.

The randoms got even randomer. 1994 Fleer Update? 1993 Fleer Final Edition? 2002 UD 40-Man? A's Gossage? Yanks Robin V?

Heck, there was even some 2007 Bowman Heritage commons. There's a set that meant to lot to me as an early collector.

The biggest random get from this?:

 MID-2010s MINIIIIISSSSSS

YEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

As if I weren't planning on  collecting all of these already...
Oh yeah, I got a new scanner that's slightly wider so thank the gods for that...

Player Collection Stuff:

2002 GOLD LABEL SCANS SO DAMNED WELL.

Anyway, the rest of this order consisted of me searching players I collected into the search bar and finding cards I didn't have  of them. Like this 02 GL Burrell.

PHILS FRIENDS.

As a Philadelphia native, I have no excuse for most of these, but  the 04 UD Utley is from a set you don't see often.

I feel like most Yankee fans have  moved on from collecting Chien-Ming Wang...but I haven't, because he's a national hero in Taiwan, and my dentist is from there and still raves about him. These Wangs were new to me.

KENNY LOFTON ON THE  GIANTS?
Kenny Lofton on the Giants.

Now you begin to see the people you've grown  to expect from  this blog. Of course there were Juan Pierre cards. Of course I got some.

Of course I got some Fred McGriff as well. One from each of the four teams I don't have a ton of stuff from.

Hell, they even had one from his ill-fated 2004 return to Tampa Bay, which is always a cool little find.

And of COURSE  there were some Curtis Grandersons I hadn't scooped up yet. Tigers, Yankees and Mets. Even a Co-Signers common.

and this shouldn't surprise you  either...

Yup, some Colons for the road. After damning this guy years ago for HGH, I've embraced him for his everyman approach and his glut of fun moments, especially with the Mets. These were some cards of his that had somehow evaded me from his ubiquitous teams.

And some rare mid-2000s ones to end us off. Man, imagine the card world in 2004, thinking they'd seen the end of the Bartolo Colon legend. And it was only gonna get weirder.

Some cool finds. I see why a lot of people have  been  flocking  to this site. Might consider another run if they're all still gonna be 10 cent finds.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to give this site another shot, because I couldn't find a darn thing the first time I tried using it. I see quite a few cards there I'd be thrilled to find in a dime box, especially that Showcase Rolen (featuring a sweet throwback jersey!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the Bay Area and I don't remember Lofton on the Giants. As for the online dime box, I originally heard of the website on the following blog:

    https://craziejoescardcorner.blogspot.com/

    There was another blog that mentioned he had a dime sale, which motivated me to head over there... but I forgot which one that was.

    ReplyDelete