Thursday, January 6, 2011

And then there's the Sixers

I was never a huge basketball fan myself. I remember acquiring Shaquille O'Neal's rookie card from my grandfather, but other than that I was never huge with basketball. Keeping this all in mind, last night I ventured out to a 76ers game in the Wacho- I mean Wells Fargo center. Why did I do this? I was invited by a friend. How could I say no to that.

The team is a lot better than what it was last year, when I saw the team play, invited by the same person around the same time as this year. I mean, last year they did have Iverson, and they had Bellombere or however you spell it (I just remember the announcer yelling it loud and slowly from last year), but now those two are gone and the team has improved.

Back in the days I saw the team Iverson-less, the big star was Andre Iguodala. This was back when he was younger, quicker and still pretty damn good. I'm not saying AI's not good now...he's been overshadowed by two younger stars, two BETTER stars: Elton Brand and Jrue Holiday.

Holiday was the hero of the night. He scored the most out of the whole team, had the most assists (so in turn, had his name cheesily yelled by the announcer, which was 'JRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEE.... (in a quiet, raspy voice) Ho....la....daaayyyy). He was named player of the game, and he damn well deserved it. But, as I said, Brand and Holiday were the stars of the show, as well as LOOOOOOOOOOOOOU Williams (As the crowd started Loooooouing the player, my confused friend asked me "Why do they always Boo Williams". I replied "They're not booing, they're Looing", the same response my dad had when his aunt asked why they always Booed Piniella). Iguodala is a good player, but at this point in his career he's no longer a huge name.

It was a great game. Sixers beat the John Walls- I mean the Wizards 109-97. The first time I've seen these guys break 100 points since...the Iverson years.

No comments:

Post a Comment