Sunday, August 12, 2012

An Important Message about Adironpacks

I should include a little backstory on this issue, before I tear it up.

Every summer, my family goes on vacation to Lake George NY, with members of the extended family, and we rent some cabins. We've been doing this as long as I can remember, and I love it. It's a tradition that never runs dry, really.

Another tradition that never ran dry was the baseball card shop up there, which was called "Sports and More". It was basically a run of the mill sports memorabilia shop, with one exception- these little packs of mixed product, mixed set cards (that the guy made himself), that were two bucks a pop.

I loved these little mix-packs, and I loved them so much that they were a segment on the blog, called "Adironpacks". And I bought so effing many of those mix packs, like it was unhealthy for me.

In 2010, right before we'd leave for home, me and my cousin Kyle went there one last time, to get some more mix packs. Kyle didn't want his, so he gave them to me, leaving me with roughly ten of them. And I thanked the guy, severely, because I didn't know if I'd be coming back the next year.

2011 we went to Lake Winnepesaukee, New Hampshire, instead of the traditional vacation we'd be doing for years. A bunch of the elders basically said "screw tradition", and we high tailed it to Meredith that year. Yeah, there was a sports card shop there, and it sold plentiful wax boxes, but it just wasn't the same. I wanted to get back to Lake George, and get some Adironpacks, not these ungrateful ripoffs, the Lake Winnepackies.

Of course, we ended up going back to Lake George this year. I say "we" loosely, because I'm only going there for a few days, and I'm still sitting at home.

Tonight I got some pretty bad news for the old-time followers of the blog. The card shop that sold the aforementioned Adironpacks has gone out of business, much to the chagrin of its only customer, me.

I mean...yeah, I saw it coming, but I really don't know what I'm gonna do with myself now. That was the only card shop up there, and it was really one of the reasons I loved coming back there. Of course, there's the lake, and the town, and the Ben and Jerry's, BUT THAT'S NOT ON CARDBOARD!

I have yet to find out if there are any other card shops down there, or if my source who gave me the news is just screwing around, of which there is only a miniscule chance. But it's just not gonna be the same.

R.I.P. Adironpacks. 2007-2012.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts are with you. I too know how it feels to lose a beloved card shop. As 2Pac once said,

    "Keep ya head up!"

    ReplyDelete