Saturday, May 19, 2018

Graduation and the White Sox


I'm gonna talk about the 2018 Chicago White Sox in just a second, but perhaps you can forgive me for holding off just for a moment to focus on something slightly more important.

Yesterday, I graduated from college.

...yeah.

It was a four-year excursion at a nice little arts school in Westchester County, New York. I did some nice work, made some friends, hit a few White Plains shows, and I was done. I just made it official yesterday. It was surreal, insane, and totally worthwhile.

So, now that I'm technically classified as a responsible adult (HA!), you're probably wondering if this blog is going to change at all, or if I'm going to post less or not at all. And the answer to that...has to do with the White Sox, actually.

The White Sox are a team that has been coasting for the past decade or so, and it's because they haven't especially been trying to do something new. They haven't made a conscious effort to compete, and when they do, it's squashed in a month's time by their own endeavors. They're already in last, and it's looking pretty embarrassing for them, outside from Yoan Moncada and Reynaldo Lopez.

I don't want the blog to end up like the White Sox. The last few years, I feel like I've been putting less and less effort into posts, been doing less and less archived box breaks, and mailing it in a lot, which one does when they're going to college during the day. So, while I am going to work full-time this year, I am still going to try to make more thought-out posts, better content, more non-custom-of-the-day stories/columns, and make this a sharper blog...nearly 10 years in.

So yes, I'm sticking around for the foreseeable future, and the content's only gonna get better...unlike the White Sox.

Coming Tonight: Another in a long line of insanely fast-throwing relievers.

1 comment:

  1. "...and it's because they haven't especially been trying to do something new. They haven't made a conscious effort to compete,..."

    Counter point:

    Off season before the 2017 campaign Hahn literally blew up the team, trading away Sale, Eaton, Jackson. And it continued in the 17 end of the year and off season with the departure of Quintana, Cabrera, Robertson, Frazier and others. The one thing Hahn has done is get as much value as he can for what he is giving up, and it's pretty evident that he trades for quality.

    Now, does that quality pan out? That is still left to be seen as the Sox are a young club still trying to gel together (make Fulmer a damn middle reliever!). But to claim they are just on cruise control and not attempting to be better? You need to rethink that opinion.

    ReplyDelete