Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Somebody Stop Boston (and by that I mean the Yankees)


One of things about this current incarnation of the Red Sox, led by Chris Sale, Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts and a cavern of raw talent, is that it's one of the hardest-to-hate BoSox squads in years.

I don't know why this is, though I credit the presence of a certain large-scale Papi, or any steroid abusers, but...everybody is not only really good, but really likable. I really like Mookie Betts, and I think he's having an MVP-caliber year more than he has previously. I think Xander Bogaerts is finally back to his best stuff, and I'm so happy that Andrew Benintendi, Mitch Moreland and JD Martinez are all having fantastic seasons.

...I just wish they weren't currently 2 games ahead of the Yankees.

I say this mostly because I was just spending time with my relatives from Boston this weekend, and they're all overjoyed. They love the team, they love the strength of the pitching, they love what Rafael Devers can do in the clutch, and they have so much to be proud of. And...at this point I'm getting worried that there's more to this BoSox team than there is to my Yankees team...and that might be the deciding factor.

The Yankees are currently dropping some games to some west coast teams, while the Red Sox are quarreling with the Braves and Mets, the former they trounced to give the Phillies the lead, and the latter...just trounced them last night? Alright, but still. The Sox have the more varied team, with more people doing things right. Not even some below-Mendoza performances from Jackie Bradley and Christian Vazquez can deter them.

I don't know if the picture will change at all in the next few weeks, and I don't know if the Yankees will even up, but...the Red Sox look GOOD. Too Good.

Coming Tonight: They were in first place for a split second, and now they're back in third, which shouldn't AT ALL deter them from their fantastic season so far, especially with their promising third-starter.

1 comment:

  1. The rivalry is just weird this go-around. We Red Sox fans can't really hate any of the Yankee players either. Even the Joe Kelly/Tyler Austin fight seemed to lack the fire of old.

    ReplyDelete