Saturday, September 28, 2019

A Blaster of 2019 Topps Archives: How Worth it Was This Anyway?

Because I'm me, I'm probably looking to complete the full set of 2019 Archives. I do this. It vexes me too. There's something about chasing retro-themed sets that recreate my best customs that satisfies me in a way.

The collation has not been kind to subsequent purchases...and yet I got another blaster anyway. Hopefully this one has switched things up A LITTLE BIT. I'll be marking which cards I needed for the set, and which were dupes.

Coins: Kris Bryant and a blue George Springer. Not a good sign when one of my coins is a dupe.

Pack 1-
68- Edwin Diaz. NEED. Off to a great start
12- Hunter Renfroe. NEED.
138- Lewis Brinson. NEED.
112- Maikel Franco. NEED. How is Hunter Renfroe the only player in this pack so far that did well in 2019?
206- Carl Yastrzemski PURPLE #'D TO 175. Thank god, as this saves what would have been the first dupe of the box so far.
289- Sammy Sosa. NEED. As much as I'm indifferent to steroid abusers, seeing Sammy as a White Sock is a nice change of pace
235- Rogers Hornsby. NEED. I love that guys like Hornsby have a place in this set.
275- Joe Morgan. NEED. That...was a nice pack.

Pack 2-
8- Elvis Andrus. NEED.
93- Cole Tucker. NEED.
5- Anthony Rizzo. NEED. I am impressed so far.
170- Edwin Encarnacion. Dupe, but he's a Yankee, so this isn't so bad.
143- Rougned Odor. NEED.
94 Future Stars of Luis Urias. At last, not a dupe insert.
299- Mychal Givens. NEED. Somehow Givens winds up in Archives, which means the Orioles didn't have many members that warranted Archives cards.
214- Whit Merrifield. NEED. Somehow I thought this was a dupe.

Pack 3-
83- MIKE TROUT. NEED. YAY, I DON'T HAVE TO OVERPAY FOR THIS ONE AT A CARD SHOW.
39- Pee-Wee Reese. Dupe,  but it's Pee-Wee, so I'm not too mad.
120- David Peralta. NEED.
127- Jim Bunning. NEED. I'm a little bummed that Bunning is pictured as a Tiger rather than a Phillie, but it's a need, so I'm not too hurt.
Ichiro Retrospective of his 2010 Topps issue. Again, a dupe insert for me. I wish they'd seed more Expos inserts so I don't have to pull all these Ichiro dupes
224- Gary Sanchez.  NEED, and a great card, too!
230- J.P. Crawford. NEED.
232- Victor Robles. NEED. This is going pretty well so far.

Pack 4-
44- Jackie Robinson. Dupe.
66- Rod Carew. Dupe. I mean, at least I'm getting dupes of people I enjoy pulling cards of..
122- Sandy Koufax. NEED. Thank god, too.
107- Bernie Williams. NEED. Awesome.
149- Frank Thomas. NEED.
And...this was the part of the pack where I audibly blurted out an expletive. IN A GOOD WAY, THOUGH.
I pulled...a purple-parallel of a certified autograph OF...Cubs broadcaster PAT HUGHES. So...lots to digest here. Firstly, it's a cool autograph of a beloved Cubs broadcaster, which is awesome in itself. Secondly, it's a PURPLE PARALLEL of an autograph, which is numbered to 150, and SEEDED 1 IN 170 PACKS. So to say this was a mega-pull is an understatement. I'm...pleasantly surprised by this hit. I'm no Cubs fan, but this is still pretty damn cool.
242- Zack Cozart. NEED. Only active player in this pack.
212- Robin Roberts. NEED. This beautiful card makes up for Bunning's Tigers colors.

Pack 5-
58- Ryan Borucki. Dupe. And here we go
25- Yusei Kikuchi. Dupe
42- Ian Desmond. Dupe.
184- Danny Jansen. Dupe.
200- Bryce Harper. Dupe. Okay, at least I got another Harp out of this.
327- Jake Bauers 93T Future Stars. okay, at least I got an SP I needed out of this pack as well.
262- Honus Wagner. NEED. I love this card.
206- Carl Yastrzemski. Dupe. And this is what I thought the whole box would be like.

Pack 6-
79- Starlin Castro. Dupe.
86- Sean Manaea. Dupe
146- Kyle Hendricks. Dupe.
131- Adalberto Mondesi. Dupe.
113- Max Kepler. Dupe.
204- Jeff McNeil. Dupe
240- Christin Stewart. Dupe.
237- Fergie Jenkins. Dupe. Well, this pack sucked.

Pack 7-
69- Yadier Molina. Dupe
14- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Dupe.
134- Brandon Belt. Dupe.
129- Joey Gallo. Dupe.
110- Jon DUPE-lantier.
309- Freddie Freeman ASG...AND EVEN THE SHORT PRINT IS A DUPE. Jeez. Dammit, Topps.
261- Chris Davis. Dupe.
228- Trevor Story. Dupe.

So...this was really a tale of two boxes. The first half was wonderful, giving me several cards I needed for the set, and giving me an AWESOME autograph of a broadcaster. The second half was almost entirely cards I already had. So...I guess this was worth it, even if the second half happened? I might actually work on a wantlist for this, as I have enough to start really chasing the rest. Hopefully future Archives endeavors won't have as many dupes.

No comments:

Post a Comment