Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wanted: Ideas for the Next Great Card-Related List

The last thing I want to do is to be left out.

November is probably one of my least consistent months in terms of posting. With no Customs and no real baseball moves, other than trades, to report about, all I have to post are packs and trades, which doesn't amount to much.

And I want something to post about, really. I don't want to sink to the bottom of people's blogrolls. I've had three years without any major hiatuses, without any major problems. I've made things as consistent as possible for as long as I've been a blogger. And if I have nothing to post about in November, I feel like I've failed.

So I thought 'what could be something big that could keep me occupied, keep me writing, and keep my status as the 15th best blogger in the 'sphere?'

And then an idea came to me.

And then I shot it down because I'm not very good at contests. Maybe next year.

And then another idea came to me. And this one was better.

What if I write a huge, several-post-spanning list, of something that has to do with baseball cards?

You see, that's what's hot right now. Some of the big guns are pulling out some Top 100 lists, and they're all racking up a lot of viewership for it. And in the past, people like Ben Henry have given us lists of the Top Baseball Card sets of the late 80's, and the early 90's.

Lists are cool. Lists are interesting. People read lists.

On the downside, they're a lot of work to put together, and you could get a lot of flak if you place something too high, or too low, or if you leave something out altogether.

The stakes are high. The risk is as well. I'm doing this solely because I want something to do. Whatever it is, it'll probably start in November and go through December, which is already packed with Year by Year, January and February, both empty months.

There's just one problem: I have no idea what to make this list about.

True, there are some ideas, but they might be too bold, or too confident. The one idea I have is "Top 100 Insert Sets of All Time", but I think I can do better than that.

So, I'm asking for your help, blogosphere. Give me some suggestions.

I'd prefer it to be a Top 100 list, but a Top 50 would certainly work if there isn't enough to nominate. My one rule is that it has to be somewhat card related. If it just has to do with baseball, or if it's something like "Top 100 biggest upsets in baseball", that's great, but for ESPN, not for a cardblog.

So...suggest away. Write something down in the comments. Make it good, and make sure it hasn't been done before. No real deadline, I'll just pick one when the comments dry up. If you give me the one I like the best, I'll use it, and I'll make sure some cardboard reward is involved.

Ideas Away!

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm... hasn't been done before? Well... as a fellow blogger, it's hard to come up with completely unique ideas.

    But I must say, I'm a huge fan of reading bloggers Top 100 list. So when that unique idea pops into your head, I look forward to reading those posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably gonna end up as 'Top 100 Insert Sets', because nobody else is giving me any ideas. Which is fine. I can definitely do that.

      Delete
    2. That's an awesome idea. Can't wait to see what's on your list. It would be a challenge for me to list just my top 10... can't imagine attempting a top 100.

      Delete
  2. Any kind of 'top' you might do cannot go wrong.

    If insert cards are quite the thing for you than go with it. I'm thinking of doing diving or 'dust-is-in-the-air' tops. Just think outside the box and keep it along side your likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it'd be great to have a Top ____ list of the worst looking cards in your collection. Cards that you keep because they're part of a team set or of a player you like, etc., but if they ceased to exist, you wouldn't really be broken up about it.

    I haven't seen that anywhere, but I'm kinda new to the game, so maybe I missed that one. Could be original.

    I'm a Padres fan, and I have a draft of my "most hated Padres" players, because there's some guys that, despite the uniform, you just can't root for. Maybe it's just me. That list is on the shelf for now, seems a little negative, plus I've gotten rid of almost all of the Melvin Nieves cards that I have.

    ReplyDelete