Sunday, November 25, 2012

I didn't mean literally...

 

Whenever there's a player that infuriates fans to the point of head-scratching-insanity, usually they wish terrible things upon them. I always hoped for Manny Ramirez to get struck by lightning, or for Kevin Youkilis to have Fenway Park implode in on him.

One time, when I was a young kid rooting for the Packers, I said aloud that "I wish Dante Culpepper would break his ankle" And while I don't think he did, his career was snapped in two anyway.

So wishing for bodily harm to come to a sports star is fine, unless it comes true.

Now you see where I'm going here.

This week, David Freese was injured in a car accident. He didn't die, and he didn't succumb to any massive injuries, but his car was totaled and a ray of sympathy went out for him. The accident puts this fan in an awkward situation; I may have said once or twice during the past two postseasons that the Cardinals would be a better team if David Freese got his by a car.

Once again, I was slain by horrible timing. For the 1,000th time. 

It's like saying "I wish Michael Jackson would just take a rest for a while". Or saying "I wish Brandon McCarthy would keep his head in check". It's terrible timing and it makes you look bad.

And yes, I do apologize for the previous two jokes. 

Back to Freese. What I said was nothing against his personality, but merely against his playing ability. He keeps having big games against teams I enjoy. It's a bit infuriating, in a Youk-esque way. I never actually wanted bodily harm to come to Freese, I just was frustrated that he was doing so well. 

So David Freese will rebound, and I'm definitely sure he'll be playing for St. Louis next year. Also, his salary allows him to get a new car. But am I still going to root against him? Probably. Unless he does something awesome that makes me regain trust in him.

But until then, it's back to wishing for his demise by way of airplane-jet-engine.

1 comment:

  1. Man - I can't wait for your post if Freese gets hit by one of those frozen chunks of ice that falls from a plane's lavatory.

    Pun not intended, btw.

    ReplyDelete