Friday, August 31, 2018

Let's Talk About Cutch in the Bronx


I had a very, very busy couple of days. Work led me into the late hours of the day, with no real time to post. Then, when I was home, I still had things to do for work. It was one of the most exhausting two-day spans I've encountered in a while. And, as an added bonus, the Yankees kept blowing games to easy AL Central opponents.

Thankfully, this morning, I was rewarded. One of my favorite players landed in the Bronx, as the exact antithesis to Jose Bautista landing in Philly.

So, here's why Andrew McCutchen as a Yankee works:

Aaron Judge is currently injured. You all know that. What no one knows is how long he'll be injured. Boone has been very wishy-washy on when he's coming back, Judge himself has been evasive, and I think that either no one knows...or everyone does know, and it's not good news. And it's probably the latter one. Judge may be out until October. And I don't even know how much of October this team will see.

The other outfield issue is Giancarlo Stanton, who was essentially hired to be this team's DH, and is playing a bit too much outfield. He's great and all, but he's not a career right fielder like he once was, and having people like Gardy, Hicks and...well, someone else who's good defensively, is better than playing Stanton in the outfield every day.

So...we went and got Andrew McCutchen. Yes, he's not at 2013-levels, but he's an important piece. He's a good defensive outfielder, he's a great hitter, and he's an infectious team presence. He is more than capable of replacing the marketing behemoth that was Aaron Judge, simply because he's a great, fun player, he's versatile, and he can win over the fans just by being himself.

Plus...I can get some use out of my old Cutch Pirates shirt...which I am wearing today.

I don't know how successful this move will be, or how long-lasting, but...I'm just happy Cutch is playing for my team. It's a great feeling. I hope he does well, because the fans are quick to point fingers if there isn't immediate success (look at the first week of the Luke Voit era...or the Stanton era in that matter).

I'm sure he'll do fine. Besides, he's Andrew McCutchen. That alone is pretty damn awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment