Saturday, August 25, 2018

Tanner '18 (or maybe just '19 at this point)


And we're back with the 2018 Washington Nationals. They're not great...but they still have a mini-sliver of a shot this year.

Look, I'm 90% sure that the Cy Young winner is still gonna come from this team. Scherzer has a nice shot at 3 in a row, and they might as well start saving a space for him in Cooperstown (because...I mean, come on). Also, the #1 free agent of the 2019 class will also come from this team. Bryce Harper is gonna go somewhere, and I'm not sure that it'll be Washington again.

This is also a team that could theoretically survive without Harper- Rendon, Turner, Zim and Eaton will all be around next year, as well as smaller pieces like Michael Taylor and Wilmer Difo. And the only starters who might leave are Gio Gonzalez and Jeremy Hellickson- Roark, Scherzer and Strasburg are sticking around, and there's the option of having Erick Fedde and Joe Ross, or potentially another acquisition, join them.

What I'm saying is that even if this team got unlucky this year, they're definitely not done being contenders. There's a chance they may continue to unload the rest of their talent this offseason, but I don't think they're at that point yet. Their 2019 team may still be a threat to Atlanta (and Philly but let's be real here mostly Atlanta), and they could still have some good years left with this team.

So, even if the Nats spend the rest of this season losing and giving up crucial matches...they're just saving up for 2019, I think. I could be wrong, but...from the talent that this team still has, I don't think I am.

Coming Tomorrow- He may not be THE ACE in Cleveland, but he's still one of the more impressive arms they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment