Tuesday, September 2, 2014

How to admit you screwed up without coming off as desperate


So, for those of you who recall, I had a very...I dunno, I guess you could say 'mean-spirited' post last night, about the Orioles. I already deleted it, because I went back and read it this morning and for the first time in my career, I actually felt ashamed about something I had written. I'd called the team's star a wash-up, I'd said that the team was only in first by default, and I used the post as a way of saying that my team was still better.

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. It was 11ish, and I was only posting for the sake of posting, because I needed to get another one out because I needed to start posting more. So everything I wrote in that post was an afterthought, done for the sake of humor, not really said with any statistics in mind, and written smugly and asshole-like.

I know I lost the respect of a lot of Orioles fans, and I know that they'd rather eat a shoe than ever read my blog again, so when I say I'm sorry, please understand that it's coming from someone who means it. I'm not looking for sympathy, and I'm not trying to win you all back onto my side, because I'm not some politician who gives hush money to people he's wronged behind their backs. All I'm doing is being honest and saying that I didn't mean to defame the Orioles, and I certainly had no idea the post would have this kind of effect on people.

And for the record, I know it may not show, but I actually like the Orioles. A friend of my dad's gets cheap seats every few years, so we go to a game every once and a while. I have all the respect in the world for the Orioles, and I felt really, really bad when Machado got hurt, because he's a great player. Please understand that I'm not BSing here. I don't like to bullshit, and I don't do it often.

I promise that the next time I write about a team, I will check my facts a bit more, and I won't just write for the sake of getting one done.

And also, I apologize about all the shit I said about Earl Weaver, when he died. I basically took it as an opportunity to get back at him after all of those days of kicking my Yankees' ass, and I thought with my ass instead of my head. So last night's post was the second time I pissed off Orioles fans. Believe me when I say that I don't go out of my way to make people upset. And I certainly had no intention of that last night, which is why it killed me that people reacted this way. And before I get a lot of 'Well, what did you expect', comments, I didn't really expect anything. I expected it to get, like, 30 page views, people to read it, like the custom, and move on with their lives.

Bottom line- I don't expect complete forgiveness from the people that didn't like the post. That only happens in the movies. All I want is for you to see my side of the story, and at least have some context about it, and then base your opinion on that. You're allowed to still hate me. I don't care. I just wanted to make my point about it clear, and apologize. If that doesn't do anything for you, well that's fine with me.

Coming Tonight (?)- Well, it'd be a slap in the face if it was a Yankee, so it's probably going to be Stephen Strasburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment