Saturday, March 16, 2013

Custom Card of the Day: Haren Edition


Ten years ago, as many people have been needlessly reminded, Dan Haren was a rookie for the Cardinals. I believe he was on the Cardinals team that I was hoping would win the World Series against Boston. After stints with Oakland, Arizona and Anaheim, Haren has settled in Washington. I believe that both the city and the pitcher are good fits.

The city needs someone like Haren; after an amazing underdog season, the Nationals fell short of postseason expectations in a loss to the Giants. However, the pitching staff wasn't entirely to blame; though they included such arms as Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmerman, the staff wasn't 100%. Now, with a healthy Strasburg, the team could use someone like Haren to round out the staff, and send some bombs past opponents.

Also, I'll add that this is the third super-rotation Haren's been a part of. He was a member of the Oakland Staff back when Zito, Mulder and Harden ruled the mound. He was a proud member of the ever-changing Anaheim staff, featuring Jered Weaver, Ervin Santana, CJ Wilson, and at times Zack Greinke and John Lackey. Now hanging with Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg, it appears Haren's destined to be a part of epic pitching staffs. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Phillies' staff is kinda roomy, though I doubt he'll want to stoop that low.

As for Haren, I imagine he'd fit the Nats perfectly. He's a nice, solid pitcher, one that rarely gets injured and one who is consistent. I think he'll do well for the Nationals, and I hope the Nationals exceed the already-high expectations of millions.

Coming Tomorrow- A member of another team touted for a huge run this year; a big-time first baseman hoping to help his team have another awesome winning season.

No comments:

Post a Comment