Wednesday, October 3, 2018

NL Wild Card: Triumph in Extras


I wasn't certain the Rockies could pull it off, even as I went to bed with a 1-0 lead in the seventh, but they surprised me. Along with the rest of the viewing audience.

The game-winning RBI came from backup catcher Tony Wolters, who, if he wasn't a hero in Denver before, certainly has to be now. Great bullpen work came from Seung-Hwan Oh, Adam Ottavino (despite giving up the Cubs' sole run), Wade Davis, Chris Rusin and Scott Oberg. And, of course, the presence of guys like Nolan Arenado and Charlie Blackmon made this team even more of a shoo-in for a playoff appearance.

As for the team they silenced...

It's a little sad to see this Cubs team get eliminated so soon, especially after what fans thought was a shoo-in for first seed, but they still had a fantastic season, and this is clearly not the end of their 2010s reign. I imagine they've got enough still in the tank for another playoff run next year, and enough young stars that can stay around to establish a new great team.

Obviously Cubs-Brewers would have been the more dramatic matchup, but I'm still happy we got this one, and I'm sure the Rockies are gonna be more than formidable against the first-seeded Brewers.

Tonight...my Yankees take on the cinderella A's.

No comments:

Post a Comment