Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Nostalgic Box Break: 1992 Stadium Club Series One (Part Three)


24 packs down. 12 to go. And we're dealing with 1992 collation. CAN I COMPLETE MY 1992 SERIES 1 BASE SET?

Well...seeing as I spoiled that I got the last 3 cards last week...no, I can't. BUT WILL I COME WITHIN 3 CARDS OF COMPLETING MY 1992 SERIES 1 BASE SET? Uhh...maybe?

 Pack 25-
Cards I needed: 1/15
Dupes: 14/15
This may be what we're in for most of this post.

 Pack 26-
Cards I needed: 10/15
Dupes: 5/15
MUUUCH BETTER

 Sadly, these three were our three highlights. Heath's is a nice catcher shot, and Boyer looks ridiculously goofy, but not a ton of star power.

 Pack 27-
Cards I needed: 6/15
Dupes: 9/15
People that were absolutely huge in 1990: 1/15
 Kevin Mitchell was still riding pretty high in 1992, which is kind of nice. Marquis Grissom was a few big-hitting seasons away from establishing his own legend.

 Pack 28-
Cards I needed: 6/15
Dupes: 9/15
A little better, though.

 The Spehr one is  pretty cool. You don't see many catchers throwing very often. Leyritz just looks kinda lazy and bored. Could have cropped that one a bit.

 Two excellent shots. Rivera's got a nice slide. Schaeffer's is poignant and subtle.

 Pack 29-
Cards I needed: 4/15
Dupes: 11/15
Noted Racists: 1/15
 Back when I ripped this, a rare Curt Schilling Astro card was my highlight. Now it's Met Dave Magadan.

 Pack 30-
Cards I needed: 14/15
Dupes: 1/15
WHERE WAS THIS PACK WHEN I NEEDED IT EARLIER???
Orioles: 3/15
Jays: 2/15
Krukkies: 1/15
 Two Orioles. Devereaux spent more time with the team than Horn.

 Leiter in his jacket, Davis with his monster swing, and Merced looking pretty happy.

 I really dig the Pat Borders card, because it's very realistic and fun. Van Poppel's just here to warn Julio Urias of what the future might hold.

 Pack 31-
Cards I needed: 1/15
Dupes: 14/15
AFTER SUCH GOOD LUCK LAST PACK!

 Pack 32-
Cards I needed: 8/15
Dupes: 7/15
Blue Jays HOFers- 1/15
Cardboard HOFers- 1/15
Guys who helped out the Tin Man in his time of need: 1/15 (corny joke, but still)

 Robby Thompson's making a great double play tag here, which is wonderful. Bill Swift's great here in a nice, wide wingspan shot.

 I've always adored this Joe Carter shot. So dramatic. Also, here's a post-boost Oil Can.

 BIP!!!!!
And there's Wally Backman to prove it took a year or so for the Phils to find their way in '93.

 Pack 33-
Cards I needed: 5/15
Dupes: 10/15
Future Yankee Heroes: 1/15
 Dave Stieb, still hanging in there in '92, and Paul O'Neill, ready to set the bronx on fire.

 Pack 36-
Cards I needed: 10/15
Dupes: 5/15
 Gallego's shot is pretty nice, enough outfield depth. For some reason I like the little wince on Bryan Harvey's face, bracing for the runner.

 Dean Palmer showing the people at BALCO where they can stick the needle.
Also, Eric Karros, racing towards a ROY.

 Pack 35-
Cards I needed: 5/15
Dupes: 10/15
People Who Won't be Getting Served in Miami Anytime Soon: 1/15

 Ozzie Guillen...nope.
Also, there's Chris Sabo and his trademark goggles.

 Pack 36-
Cards I need: 9/15
Dupes: 6/15
Not bad for the last pack.
Former MLB Managers: 1/15

 Four great landscapes. I love the Clark, as it catches him in the middle of a shot. The Joyner is really good too- dirt being kicked up and all.

 Todd Hundley, pre-Dodgers, and Ramon Martinez, pre-Pedro.

And because I can do whatever the hell I want, I'm ending this rip on a card of Franklin Stubbs.

So, that was 1992 Stadium Club. Fun set, but the collation's hell. I still got VERY CLOSE to a complete set out of the box, and the last 3 were common enough to land in my mailbox soon after.

I do have another NBB set lined up soon, I might wait a little bit for the dust of this one to settle. And also, one of these days I'm going to grab a box of Series 2 and 3 of this set...just to settle the score.

2 comments:

  1. Kinda weird how hard it is to pull a checklist card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photography in that set! Love the Brian Harvey!

    ReplyDelete