Saturday, July 6, 2013

2013 All Star Game Rosters: I react

Well, we've finally come to that time of the season. No, I'm not referring to The Zombies. I'm referring to the All Star Game. That's right, the best (?) players from each league go head to head against each other, much to the delight of the fans.

As per usual, I'll be reacting to the rosters as they are updated. I'm sure there'll be some wild cards, some picks that come out of absolutely nowhere, but being that my Yankees are in 3rd right now, I've learned to accept surprises.

AL:

Starters:
1B: Chris Davis, Orioles. Everybody and their mother saw this coming. He deserves it.
2B: Robinson Cano, Yankees. Well, at least A Yankees is starting. Good for Robbie.
SS: J.J. Hardy, Orioles. Due to Jeter's absence, and there not really being any awesome shortstops left in the AL, Hardy gets the nod.
3B: Miguel Cabrera, Tigers. Good for him.
C: Joe Mauer, Twins. Honestly, I voted for Wieters, but Mauer's pretty awesome too.
OFs: Mike Trout, Angels, Jose Bautista, Blue Jays, and Adam Jones, Orioles. All three deserve it, though I put Cespedes instead of Bautista.
DH: David Ortiz, Red Sox. Because honestly, who the hell else do you give it to?

Pitchers:
Max Scherzer, Tigers. This is probably the most obvious choice on here.
Felix Hernandez, Mariners. Also pretty obvious.
Clay Buchholz, Red Sox. Caps off a pretty nice season. Deserves it.
Brett Cecil, Blue Jays. Uhhh...pretty sure they already had a nod. Dunno what he's doing here.
Justin Verlander, Tigers. He deserves it.
Justin Masterson, Indians. He's playing really well this season. Happy for him.
Chris Sale, White Sox. Because they needed a nod.
Mariano Rivera, Yankees. He better not opt out. I swear, this is his last one. He better not.
Bartolo Colon, Athletics. Uhhh...okay. Steroid abusers allowed in?
Yu Darvish, Rangers. Well, of course.
Hisashi Iwakuma, Mariners. Having a great season.
Jesse Crain, White Sox. Okay? I woulda left room for Johnson, but okay
Joe Nathan, Rangers. Deserves it.
Glen Perkins, Twins. Their best player, so yeah.

Reserves:
Prince Fielder, Tigers. Because he finished second to Davis.
Torii Hunter, Tigers. Had a great season.
Jhonny Peralta, Tigers. Sure, why not invite most of the Tigers' infield.
Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox. Alright, fine.
Nelson Cruz, Rangers. I don't like him, but he's at least okay.
Ben Zobrist, Rays. I guess they needed a nod, and their two best players were hurt.
Jason Castro, Astros. I know they need a nod, but Castro is not better than Wieters.
Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays. Deserves it.
Alex Gordon, Royals. Great player, and having a good season.
Jason Kipnis, Indians. Alright, I'll take your word for it.
Manny Machado, Orioles. This means that we've invited the entire Orioles infield, save for One Legged Roberts.
Salvador Perez, Royals. Okay...that's not funny. You WASTE two catcher spots, two of which that should be reserved for Matt Wieters...and you BLOW IT! You get two catchers that should not be all stars! I mean...come on!

NL:

Starters:
1B: Joey Votto, Reds. Well, duh.
2B: Brandon Phillips, Reds. He deserves it.
SS: Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies. He's still injured I think, but I voted for him.
3B: David Wright, Mets. It looks like the Panda-stuffing in San Fran backfired. Still, Wright needs to be there, because it's Citifield.
C: Yadier Molina. I voted for Posey, but YadiMo's on a tear.
OF: Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies, Bryce Harper, Nationals, and Carlos Beltran, Cardinals. All three deserve it, though I voted Dom Brown instead of Beltran, and MacCutchen instead of Harper.

Pitchers:
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers. Agreed, 100%
Patrick Corbin, D-Backs. He's pitching well, so yeah.
Matt Harvey, Mets. Deserves it. Also, it's Citifield.
Adam Wainwright, Cardinals. Good choice.
Jason Grilli, Pirates. Best closer in the NL.
Jordan Zimmerman, Nationals. Doing a lot better than Strasburg, so I agree.
Craig Kimbrel, Braves. Of course.
Aroldis Chapman, Reds. Of course.
Travis Wood, Cubs. Because...they could just nominate Soriano?
Jose Fernandez, Marlins. For his season so far, I'll take it.
Cliff Lee, Phillies. YES! I KNEW LEE WOULD GET IT!
Jeff Locke, Pirates. I'll take it.
Madison Bumgarner, Giants. Deserves it.

Reserves:
Andrew McCutchen, Pirates. Deserves it so badly.
Michael Cuddyer, Rockies. The streak was his ticket.
Buster Posey, Giants. Has to be here.
Pedro Alvarez, Pirates. Home run machine.
Domonic Brown, Phillies. Speaking of home runs. Good for Dom
Everth Cabrera, Padres. If they needed a nod, they should have picked Ciriaco.
Matt Carpenter, Cardinals. He's okay.
Allen Craig, Cardinals. Well, that's 1/2 the Cards' lineup. At least they stopped at 2. No Freese.
Paul Goldschmidt, D-Backs. Happy for him.
Carlos Gomez, Brewers. Deserves it with the season he's having.
Jean Segura, Brewers. Okay, sure.
Marco Scutaro, Giants. Whatever.

annnd...NO PUIG! Thankfully, he's up for final man with Pence, A-Gon, Freeman and Desmond, but he'll probably win. The AL final man is pretty weak, though I'm glad Robertson god a nod.

So, overall I'm pleased. I'm sure the absence of Puig will be argued about for the next few days. Overall, I'm happy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment