Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Okay Mets, Now We Have Your Attention


I didn't think too much of it when the Mets grabbed Juan Uribe. Then they got Tyler Clippard, and again, didn't think a whole lot of it. I thought they'd be making little moves, tiny roster swaps just to keep busy, to refine, not completely revamp.

I figured out how wrong I was when I found out Carlos Gomez would be wearing a Mets uniform again this season.

It was the kind of thing where I knew that the Mets needed one or two pieces last night, but I didn't think they'd act, you know, the next day. And I didn't think they'd do something that made as much sense as getting Carlos Gomez. Gomez still has a lot of great stuff left, and is still one of the better, speedier outfielders in the league. Seeing him back in a Mets uniform will definitely be the piece that could tip them over the edge.

I'm a little concerned about what they gave up. Wilmer Flores, in my opinion, is a better choice at shortstop than Ruben Tejada. But, apparently they don't want a choice. And Zack Wheeler, once he came back, would have been part of a landmark rotation, but apparently the Mets really, really, REALLY want to keep Jon Niese.

Still, with Gomez, the Mets make a case to be a major postseason threat. If they can make it with Carlos Gomez and Juan Uribe, they could be dangerous in October.

UPDATE: Apparently this trade never happened, according to Sandy Alderson. Honestly, I have no idea what's going on anymore. With the Hamels thing, and now this, there are just so many question marks. So for now...he's NOT a Met? Or maybe he is.

More on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment