Tuesday, July 28, 2015

WAIT...WAIT...HOLD ON A MINUTE...


Didn't I...JUST GET DONE putting down a meaningless trade?

So...not even a full 12 hours after I ripped Sandy Alderson a new one, I get to explain exactly what is wrong with ANOTHER trade?

I guess that could only mean one thing: SOMEBODY REALLY LIKED MY POST!

Okay, where was I. Oh, yeah, Tulo-for-Reyes.

Here's the thing. I have no problem with Troy Tulowitzki. He's a great player on a great team, and he was a great leadership figure in Denver. And I have no problem with Jose Reyes. True, his numbers have slipped since leaving the Mets (usually it's the other way around), but he's been fine in Toronto.

I do, however, have a problem with them being traded for each other.

Both shortstops fit each other's infields pretty well. You can't just chance trying to fit them into another infield in the middle of a season, especially when replacing each other. This is why trading Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus only worked a tiny bit. And let me be clear- I have no problem with doing something like that at the beginning of the season, like how they got Donaldson- there you have Spring Training to break them into the system. You have to give these players time to fit into each other's infields, instead of thrusting them right in there.

Plus, now the Blue Jays have to pay the rest of Tulowitzki's contract. Which is another addition to the LONG LIST of contracts they have to pay off. So, really, it didn't make a ton of sense. The Blue Jays didn't need another contract, at least not with the requisite results (i.e.- not ending up in third every year).

I mean, Tulo in Toronto could definitely work, offense wise. But, getting him there could have taken far fewer steps, and a trade a shit-ton less stupid.

I'm gonna be at a Mets game tonight, so I don't know if I'll get a post up tonight, but I'll try to squeeze one in tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment