Monday, February 27, 2023

A Four Dollar Milkshake from the Online Dime Box

 

I've sporadically gotten cards from baseballcardstore.ca in the last few years. I haven't always posted about it, but I've kept using them. They're a very small business but they do great work, and their wide variety of 90s and 00s cards, from commons to genuinely awesome inserts, has been a treasure trove for tons of bloggers over the past few years. Plus, continuing to price these cards at 10 cents a pop, even while  encouraging people to pare down individual shipments, has made it very reliable for people like me who are trying to budget accordingly.

It had been a while since my last order, so I went with a 40 card shipment, and there was a lot of really cool stuff that I didn't expect to find. 

For instance- I'd found Baseball Heroes cards of Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays, but somehow none of the Johnny Bench ones yet. This one was welcome here.

There are lots of 90s sets that go up in full on the site [in between lots and lots of 1988 Topps sets], and so I'll go for guys I collect in sets I may not have a ton of. The top two are from 1993 Ultra Update I believe, while the bottom two are just 93 Donruss releases. 

All four of these for ten cents surprised me. Huge star cards from the first 5 years of Upper Deck, 10 cents. I rarely find affordable 
The one thing I don't see often, or the one thing that honestly most bloggers don't report on, is Upper Deck from 1994 to 1997. These sets rarely get talked about, and a lot of them aren't very interesting. I don't like the 1994 design because of how it's oriented, but there were some good photos. 1997 UD is pretty cool, though. 

One very cool 95 Pinnacle base card in Puckett's, and a couple of very thick 97 Pinnacle Zenith cards. Not 98 Zenith, no, the cards are too small for that. 

As it's the mid-90s, lots of opportunities for Hideo Nomo cards, including that very cool 1996 Topps insert, which I hadn't seen before.

1999 UD Ionix. Not a great set, but occasional cool moments and a Colon sighting.
 
Some 90s Ultra base. Kinda odd that in some gold medallion parallels they had to print it on the card. Lofton's one year in Atlanta ended up missing the Indians' World Series run. 

Some 2000s fun, like a 2005 ESPN card [I used to see these a lot as a kid] of Miguel Cabrera, and a 2008 Heritage insert of Troy Tulowitzki. 

They also had a nice amount of Panini stuff, which I do have a soft spot for despite the lack of logos. This also gave me another all-too-rare Dodgers J-Rol card.

Modern Mosaic, modern Select. I don't have enough Hendriks As cards, and it's always nice to find MadBum cards since Topps doesn't seem to be able to make them anymore.

A few Bowman rookies. Brett Anderson was a D-Backs farmhand before he was involved in the deal that sent Dan Haren to Arizona. That Peraza Bowman isn't the XRC 2020 one, but it's a 2021 one and it still might end up being pretty cool.

There was also some set needs, which I wasn't quite expecting. Both these cards knick off some long-gestating Stadium Club base sets. I am down to 5 left to complete the 1994 set and 11 left to complete the 1995 set. I'm pretty surprised I have less to collect for these sets than I do for 1993. 

However, the biggest set need I was able to procure from baseballcardstore.ca....

Not only is this a really cool Expos Larry Walker card, but this was the last card I needed to complete my 1991 Stadium Club set. I'd been looking for this card for a while, and had been trying to find the last few 1991 SC cards for a while. And this means my like 9 year endeavor to collect all the Stadium Club sets, which I later revised to, like, the 1991 to 1996 run, has resulted in another completed set. So that makes me feel good.

So yeah, accomplished a lot with this Online Dime Box order. Might do another one in a little while. 

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to get another order from there, so many sites, so little cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started using the Online Dime Box again and it's been a lot of fun - will probably get a post up at some point. Looks like you found a cool treasure trove of cardboard. Love the Nomos in particular - he doesn't pop up in dime boxes very often.

    ReplyDelete