Sunday, July 9, 2023

While I Was Out..

 


Usually I catch wind of a no-hitter, or prospective no-hitter, as it's happening. I check the score around the 6th, check back later and it's been broken up. Something like that. 

I had no idea the Tigers had pitched a combined no-hitter yesterday til after it happened. I was already intent on getting out of New York City and onto the train headed home, and so I just didn't check the scores. So by the time I'm seated on the train, decompressing, the game's already ended. The no-hitter's already in the books. I was caught a little off-guard.

The Tigers this year are a bad team that have enough moments of being defiantly good that they can't quite be predictable. They can be crushed by the A's and then they can crush the A's. They can get off to a hot stretch to end May and then flatten again through June. You can't call a team whose only ASG rep is Michael Lorenzen predictable. So the Tigers being able to no-hit the Blue Jays is something I never would have predicted. 

Matt Manning going 7 strong, maybe. Jason Foley and Alex Lange being lights out, sure. But this very mediocre team overpowering a team that should still be a figure in the playoff race this year? That astounded me, and I'm kinda glad we can produce a baseball climate where something like that can happen. 

The Tigers have Manning back, and they now have Tarik Skubal back, and with Reese Olson joining them to back Rodriguez and Lorenzen, they have a relatively good rotation heading into the second half. This no-no may be a fluke, but they may get a little better now that we know what the pitching can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment