Monday, April 25, 2022

Cron Justice

 


So, uh...the Colorado Rockies aren't doing too badly right now. 

I was expecting the NL West to be a three horse race between LA, San Fran and San Diego, but I also never completely counted the Rockies out, especially after getting Kris Bryant when no one expected them to. So their 10-5 record after 2 and a half weeks of play is...while not completely surprising, pretty impressive. Especially considering that Kris Bryant, hitting .300 but not exactly scoring well in the WAR category, isn't really the main reason why the team is doing well.

Right now, that overpowering force running the team is C.J. Cron, coming off the best season of his career. As I write this, he's leading the league in both home runs and RBIs, he's hitting .283 at the moment, and he's looking like a very solid piece of this team. I did expect someone like Ryan McMahon to fall into this role, but it's something I think he's going to work towards. I do think that, with Story and Arenado gone, McMahon will eventually ascend to the top of this team, but he is hitting .216 right now and taking a bit longer to fully heat up than he did last year. 

You're also seeing a lot of loose ends of this team come together. Yonathan Daza has been an excellent bench bat. Randal Grichuk is finally turning into a pretty decent outfield piece now that he's out of Toronto. Connor Joe is picking up where last season left off and being an excellent DH option. Jose Iglesias has a surprising amount of pop left. Elias Diaz works as an everyday catcher. And this Alan Trejo kid could be something.

My worry is that the ironclad rotation we've had is gonna begin to unwind now that Senzatela's off his stuff again. The way the rotation works, I'm supposed to see Senza at CBP on Wednesday, but I don't know if he'll be on enough rest, so it'll either be a bullpen game or a newcomer will have to enter the fold. And as is, Gomber and Marquez are good enough, I suppose, and the best of these guys, Chad Kuhl, is off to a very good start that I worry he won't be able to sustain. As good as Tyler Kinley, Justin Lawrence and Ashton Goudeau are, the bullpen is putting in a lot of older guys that give up a lot of hits, so I'm not sure about that either.

The thing about this Rockies team, especially when your team's about to play them, is that they very well might show up in a big way. But they also might not. So I'll keep my options open for now.

Coming Tomorrow- One of the many OMG talents on the Red Sox right now.

2 comments:

  1. For now this is textbook Rockies. Hot start in April, but we'll see what happens once the All-Star break hits.

    ReplyDelete