Saturday, April 16, 2022

Jazz Age

 


I...made this before the Phils series.

You know, thought 'oh, Jazz Chisholm Jr.'s having a great start to the season, this is a great photo, might as well strike while the iron is hot', the usual things I think when I make a custom of somebody.

And then he uh...absolutely kills my hometown team.

On one hand, I think it's great that Jazz Chisholm can knock an RBI-triple and some great base running stuff as a black player on Jackie Robinson day. I love that we have this day, so we can really appreciate black players and their contributions to the game. Right now, Jazz Chisholm is a really cool player on a fairly unmemorable Marlins team, and I'm glad he can be an ambassador for all young black kids wanting to see themselves in the game.

But like...ah god I wish my Phils were better right now. We've now dropped two games to the Marlins, and have had two pitchers, Zach Eflin and Kyle Gibson, get absolutely shellacked by the Marlins' offense. Now, I'm not saying that the Marlins are unworthy of this, as right now they have Jesus Aguilar, Joey Wendle and Jesus Sanchez all hitting well, and plus they've gotten Sandy Alcantara, Pablo Lopez and Jesus Luzardo off to nice starts. 

I think what's most indicative of this team's ways, regardless of whether or not they actually get anything done this season, is their ability to let handed-off prospects become their best selves. It's certainly happened with Sandy Alcantara, as he's become a really nice starting option with several years of consistency, which he may not have been given room to have in St. Louis. Right now Jesus Luzardo is flirting with his full potential, which his swing-ish role in Oakland didn't give him many opportunities to do. And, as you'll recall, Chisholm was the return for Zac Gallen, and right now Chisholm's having the better year. 

I don't see this team doing anything too spectacular this year, even with Avisail Garcia and Jacob Stallings as buyer cred, but they can definitely win tight matches when you don't expect them to...as they have this week.

Coming Tomorrow- The soon to be Mr. 3000.

No comments:

Post a Comment