Friday, February 21, 2014

Nostalgic Box Break: 1993 Stadium Club Series 2 (Part 2)


Out of the three boxes of 1993 Stadium Club I've ripped, this was the only one of the three that didn't include a 'Master Photo' insert, which is really for the better, as it's been invalid for 20 years. I would have liked another to go with my Danny Tartabull and Greg Maddux. Oh well.

On with the middle of the box:

Pack 9-
Doubles: 6/14
Cards I needed- 8/14
Sweet throwbacks- 1/14
Overly vibrant uniforms: 2/14

Our two highlights include a Member's Choice of Carlos Baerga, which means the members must have been smoking something. Who they should have chosen was Curt Schilling, who was about to have a nice season with a pennant-winning team.
Pack 10-
Doubles- 0/14
Cards I needed- 14/14
Hometown heroes: 1/14
Concerning Grins: 1/14
Concerned Expressions: 1/14

Bret Saberhagen and George Bell were pretty huge in the 1980's. After 1993, Saberhagen would have eight years left, and Bell would retire immediately after the season. Duane Ward has the best card here, with a nice artsy horizontal shot.

But nothing can top the overall classiness of Orel Hershiser. One of my favorite non-Hall-players, just fun to root for and watch. Part of that is due to him pitching at my high school.

Pack 11-
Doubles: 2/14
Cards I needed: 12/14
Hall of Famers: 1/14
Soon-to-be-Hall of Famers: 1/14
Will probably make it into their team's Hall of Fame, but beyond that, nothing: 3/14 (Welch, Hrbek, Bernie)

Kent Hrbek's shot is pretty awesome, like the Shane Mack one from the last part. A lot of subdued emotion on there. Bernie's is just all-around Bernie.
Our two huge stars. Kirby is always a pleasure to pull out of a pack, and it's funny, because I feel like I've been pulling a billion of his cards lately. Pudge is similar, because he's also been showing up, but because he's a catcher, his shots are slightly more impressive.
Pack 12-
Doubles: 11/14
Cards I needed: 3/14
Near-Hall-of-Famers: 1/14
The one card in the pack that didn't make me wince. Fred McGriff's pretty awesome. I forgot how good of a hitter he was until people started bringing him up for Hall entry.


Pack 13-
Doubles: 0/14
Cards I needed: 14/14
Future Hall of Famers: 1/14
Steroid Abusers: 1/14
Awesome blurred-lens shots: 1/14
Zane Smith, in the height of his "popularity", seen here in a nice horizontal. But of course it's upstaged by Pat Listasch, in a card that actually means something, where he was actually playing (unlike his equally amazing 1995 release).
Mark McGwire, most likely pre-juicing, was a Member's Choice, which was, in hindsight, a good choice for the time being. Just think-five years after this he'd be a good 50 pounds larger and going for Maris' record. Mike Piazza was also in this pack. He probably also took steroids, but I think he'll end up in the Hall of Fame anyway.

Pack 14-
Doubles: 14/14
Cards I needed: 0/14
Cards that summed up my expression after opening this pack: 2/14 (Blauser and Delgado)

Pack 15-
Doubles: 6/14
Cards I needed: 8/14
Rookies of Future-Hall-of-Famers: 1/14
Great cards of sadly-past-their-prime superstars: 1/14 (sorry, Bo)

Trevor Hoffman's bonafide rookie card is here, decked out in teal, which is pretty nice. Meanwhile, Bo Jackson would have one more season left in him after 1993, which is sad, because he was a great, fun player. Alan Trammell is seen fending off a cool double play.

Pack 16-
Doubles: 8/14
Cards I needed: 6/14
Future Hall of Famers: 1/14
People named Fernandez: 2/14
Grins that are still creeping me out: 1/14

Sid Fernandez is pretty nice in this sideways card.  However, he's upstaged by the sheer awesomeness of Randy Johnson, with a broken bat and punctured ball. That is the look of someone who's mastering their craft.

Tomorrow I post the last bit of this box, then wantlists go up.

2 comments:

  1. Man, sometimes I really miss Stadium Club... but then I remember when Topps brought it back and mucked the whole thing up. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, at least the photography in the base set was still there. That was the one thing that set had going for it.

      Delete