Sunday, February 19, 2017

One More Hanger Box of 2017 Topps Series 1

I was in Target. They were there. I couldn't help myself.

I'll say this, before i dive into what I got: 2017 Topps is, as a base set, ambitious, and accomplishes a lot of the things they couldn't in 2016. The inserts are still flawed, and the lack of career stats is concerning, but this is, completely chalked up, a step forward. It's not perfect, but it's better than last year's, and that's all it needed to be.

On with the hanger box:

335- Jeff Hoffman. Starting off with the main, non-Reyes acquisition in the Troy Tulowitzki trade.
95- Chris Davis. It makes me feel very old that Davis' insane 53-homer run was four years ago. It can't have been that long ago...
236- Lucas Duda. I mean, that's Eric Campbell in the picture, but I appreciate the effort, Topps...
120- Reynaldo Lopez
215- Johnny Giavotella
98- Junior Guerra, one of the few bright spots of last year's Brewers' season.
25- Giancarlo Stanton. i dunno, the last few seasons are beginning to worry me. If he doesn't turn things around, he might be headed toward Mo Vaughn territory.
194- AJ Ramos
96- Jose Quintana. I mean, at least the Sox managed to hold onto him.
142- CARLOS RUIZ AS A DODGER. YES! IT DOES EXIST! I mean, he'll be playing for Seattle this season, but still.
338- Alcides Escobar
275- Dallas Keuchel. Fluke?
17- Daniel Descalso
56- Danny Salazar. proof that the Indians' rotation is just too good now.
188- Caleb Cotham
256- Tony Watson. For lack of a better option, the Pirates' 2017 closer.
160- Evan Gattis
117- AAAAADRIIIANNNN GONZALEZ. One of my favorites to collect.
293- Aledmys Diaz. So good, he almost made me like a Cardinal.
38- Stephen Strasburg. Taking over for Adam Wainwright as the Unluckiest Great Pitcher in Baseball.
333- Jarred Cosart
324- Ben Revere. Will hopefully have a better season in Anaheim.
Leader dupes.
62- A FANTASTIC Daniel Murphy card. Will be even better if he keeps up this awesome momentum from 2016.
99- Michael Wacha. For lack of a better option, the Cardinals' 2017 5th Starter.
60- Jose Bautista, somehow returning to Toronto for a year.
102- Cameron Maybin
232- Geovany Soto
170- Leader card of...sigh...CURRENT YANKEE, Chris Carter.
SALUTE- Robin Yount. Weakish design, but at least it's a Yount.
5 TOOL- Miguel Cabrera. Now THIS design I really like.
First Pitch- JOE MANTEGNA for the Cubs. One of the ones I was looking for, on account of House of Games, Fat Tony and...being a friend of a friend, let's just say.
Awards- Mitch Moreland. These are still boring.
Awards- Ender Inciarte
Awards- Corey Seager
Awards- Dave Roberts
A REDISCOVER TOPPS BUYBACK OF.... 1997 Dave Martinez. WOO.
9 DOUBLES
174- Phillies TC
36- B'MORE BOPPERS Combo
344- Jake Thompson
346- Jonathan Lucroy
140- A BEAUTIFUL Jesse Hahn card
313- Robbie Grossman
4 Doubles
45- Joakim Soria. At least it's nice to see him back in a Royals uniform.
136- Matt Reynolds
109- Nelson Cruz
326- Chris Archer
44- Paul Goldschmidt, one of the most underrated yet still overrated players in baseball.
154- Kevin Kiermaier
53- Ryon Healy RC...so at least I have that to keep around.
69- Henry Owens
317- Mitch Moreland, now with Boston.
168- Ryan Zimmerman. He's definitely slowing down, but he's still a big part of the Nats' offense.
80- Ivan Nova
104- Dioner Navarro
164- Matt Harvey. Now...hopefully he has another amazing season this year. I hope so. NO INJURIES please.
105- Francisco Rodriguez, who's been through more incarnations and reincarnations than Doctor Who at this point.
87 Topps insert of...Stephen Strasburg! In 2010, I'd be flipping out. Now...I still kinda am.

So...2017 Topps is still a pretty enjoyable product to open. I'll try to get more Series 1 before the other sets close in on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment