Saturday, November 9, 2019

Box Break: 2019 Panini Prizm Football


This is a little bit more like it.

As much as I appreciated the awesome break of 2019 Panini Phoenix, my mystery football supplier figured that I could use something a bit more casual. So, he brought in Panini Prism, a set that's been going strong for most of the decade, and is just a chromier, more impressive version of a regular base set.

12 packs, 12 cards per, meaning we're getting 144 cards about if this, which isn't a bad bang-for-your-buck, though I'm not exactly sure if I would have said that had this been a purchase and not a mysterious handoff.

Anyway, there's 3 guaranteed autos. I'm not an auto collector, or a hit guy, but...I'm still opening this box, so let's go

Also, I'm only gonna show the highlights here, so every pack might not be exactly 12 cards:

 Pack 1-
Already I like the mix of legends, as we get cards of Terry Bradshaw and Clinton Portis in here. More importantly for me, we get Packers/Eagles content with Williams and Agholor, and a pack-maker with Cam Newton.

Base design is sharp. Not out of the ordinary for Prism.
 Two Bills rookies. Ed Oliver's a rookie lineman who's been getting starts for the surging Bills. Tyree Jackson was an early cut. And the Fireworks insert is of Amari Cooper, whose Dallas success has made my Raider-fan father weep.
However, I WAS THE ONE WEEPING HERE.

This is a camo parallel of a man whose number I've proudly adorned regularly, LeSean 'Shady' McCoy. This card is numbered to TWENTY-FIVE COPIES. THAT IS INSANE. And the fact that it's a player I collect, and adore, helps.

 Pack 2- Aaron Donald is probably the biggest star in this pack, though it's cool seeing Joe Flacco, hometown hero, in a Broncos uniform.
Devin Singletary's a Bills rookie who had a decent Week 9 against Philly. Travis Fulgham has yet to make his 2019 debut.
And our first hit, a sticker auto of Raiders safety Johnathan Abram...ain't bad. Guy was on par for a great start before an injury took him out.

 Pack 3- Base highlights include Joe Mixon and Latavius Murray, and legend cards from STEVE LARGENT...And Michael Vick.
Another parallel success, a blue parallel of Cards hero Patrick Peterson, #'d to 99.

 Pack 4- Tiki, Juju, and Tyler Lockett were the names that stood out to me here.

The Emergent insert, which is cool but basic, is of Saquon Barkley. And that's a Will Fuller turquoise parallel #'d to 175. There are a lot of parallels in this set. Just...just throwing that out there.

 Pack 5- Lot of really nice base gets here- Aaron Jones, Desean Jackson, AJ Green, Jerome Bettis. It's just nice to see Desean back in an Eagles uniform, even if he's hurt right now.

And this Tyler Lockett blue parallel is #'d to 199. Told you there were a lot of parallels.

 Pack 6- Namath and Mahomes side by side. I hope this isn't cursing Pat.

And we've hit our second hit, a Bears WR named Riley Ridley. On one hand, Ridley hasn't seen any playing time this season. On the other hand, this card is well-designed and #'d to 99.

 Pack 7- Another set Gronk and Luck get cards in. I mean, Shaun Anderson's here too, so maybe they count as legends? AP still looks kinda cool as a Redskin. And Andy Dalton has since been benched, which is kinda sad.

ANOTHER NAMATH. I'm not exactly a Jets fan, but I'm perfectly fine with Broadway Joe love, on this Legendary Talents insert.
This Byron Murphy RC is an orange parallel, #'d to 249. Murphy's a rookie cornerback who's been fitting in nicely with the Cards.

 Pack 8- Witten, Trubisky, Sherman, Rodgers...yeah, star-wise, we did pretty well. Mixon's is a bit refractor-y, though non-numbered. And Archie's just another excuse to boost the Manning total to 3.

Brett Rypien (not sure if he's related to Mark), was drafted as a potential backup to Flacco. This hasn't panned out, as Rypien was a training camp cut, I believe. Good news is, this pink parallel is numbered to 49.

 Pack 9- Mannning and Brady in the same pack, yada yada. Carr and Staubach are in here as well, too. Great QB pack.

Of course the Eagles fan has to pull at least one cool Cowboys card. This Ezekiel Elliott red parallel is #'d to 149.

 Pack 10- A Kelce brother, George Kittle, and Pats legend Troy Brown. Not bad.

My fireworks insert is of Broncos defensive hero Von Miller, and that turquoise Larry Fitzgerald is #'d to 175.

 Pack 11- Brees, Ebron, an ill-timed Antonio Brown, and a legends base of Eddie George. His wife was on Survivor, and she dragged him along for the family visit, which was cool.

And here's another parallel, a Juwonnn Winfree blue parallel #'d to 199. Juwann has seen some playing time at WR, but is mostly a bench guy.

 Pack 12-Derek Barnett, Amari Cooper and Warren Sapp are the highlights for me, at least.

And our final hit is a base auto of Chargers backup quarterback Easton Stick. Quite obviously, Easton hasn't gotten any playing time yet this year. Not sure when/if that will happen if Rivers is still elite.

That was a box of Prism. It's...fine. I kinda like Phoenix better, because it throws more punches. Prism is a very basic, boilerplate sort of more-than-flagship set. Hits were fine. Parallels were plentiful. Definitely got a nice base selection. Just...not exactly a set that wows me.

This football detour was pretty nice, even if I don't keep up with collecting as much anymore. As always, if you want anything you've seen in this box or the Phoenix box, let me know. I'm wading back into trading, and I've already complied stuff for the few people who've said they wanted things thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this break recap, I had fun reading. That McCoy is awesome. Your hits were meh, but I love how many parallels there are.

    ReplyDelete