Monday, October 9, 2017

Card Show 10/7/17: Tales of the Unexpected


Sometimes I forget that one of the more prevalent card shows on the east coast happens literally in my backyard.

White Plains, New York, in addition to being A.) unspeakably bland, B.) The nearest town to my college, and C.) Where I buy most of my retail cards, the home of the 'East Coast National', and the semi-annual 'White Plains Sports Card/Memorabilia Show'. This weekend was the 'Fall Classic', a show that took the place of the upper level of the convention center, a basketball court. There was a fairly decent amount of space, and while it wasn't overwhelming, it was a little small for my tastes.

 I'd like to point out that while I don't normally go straight for game-used cards, there was an ASG patch of Philadelphia hero Cliff Lee for $2, and...yeaaah...they got me. I couldn't resist.

I split most of my findings, scrounged from quarter bins, 6 for a buck bins, and a bin that I thought was a quarter bin that I found out was a 10 cent bin at the last second, into a few subgroups, as usual. We'll dive into things thusly...

 Inserts Everywhere!

I never underestimate the ability of card-show vendors to make me feel good about myself by pricing cool inserts at a quarter per, rather than, like, a dollar or two per like everybody else. I nabbed these First Pitch inserts for 25c each. Good to know the Incredible Hulk is a White Sox fan, which means this year must have made him very...very...ANGRY...

Also, I got the Victoria Justice one because...as a 21 year old, I have a vague idea of who she is, possibly less vague than a ton of other bloggers.

Also, as Topps Bunt is slowly becoming one of my guilty pleasures, I grabbed a few of their inserts. One...a base card that snuck in here, of Luis Severino and his prized arm. Another cool one of Shin-Soo Choo in a 70's throwback.

 More contemporary inserts. The Cutch is a beauty. That one and the Maik are Chrome inserts. I also think it's great they're comparing Fergie to Hendricks, even if I would have went with Jon Lester.

Assorted late 00's Starquests. The Price would have gone for, like, 25 bucks in 2009. Glad to see it in my collection for a quarter.

Of course, it's really about the 90's inserts, as most of the bins were teaming with them. It was honestly a case of what looked cool, and I will NEVER say no to new Fred McGriff cards. It's not possible. 

 I'd also like to compliment Topps for making Hideo Nomo, another guy I collect, into an Etch-A-Sketch drawing. That's a nice touch.

 More inserts. The Abreu is a nice Flair one. The Guerrero is an ultra-thick Hobby Masters insert that Topps used to do in the early 2000s.


 Onto more contemporary stuff, the 2009 Update Propaganda set is one of my favorites, and these six have all been knocked off my want-list. Just...look how friggin' cool they are. This was back when Topps actually put effort into making their sets.

And, of course, some 2009 Turkey Reds, which I'll never turn down. Only Ibanez has retired out of this bunch, and only CC's still in that uniform. I am amused by pre-dreads Johnny Cueto, though.
And some 2010s. Two of these guys are in Texas right now. Also, back in 2010 you would have had to pay way more than 15 cents for a Stephen Strasburg rookie-year card.

 Die-cuts were the theme of one particular 25 cent box, as I nabbed these three Chrome ones. These are cool, as they fit together and such, but not in a polished, triumvirate way.

 Assorted die-cuts. Two guys I love collecting.

 This was my favorite of the die-cuts I found. Proof that Fleer actually had some truly inspired ideas before UD bought them.

 I'll lump these HOF insert-esque things in here. Alomar on a Diamond King, Bench in one of those weird 2010 Topps Legends inserts.
 Of course, these were always cool when I was growing up. A shame it took me eight years to find these ones, as they're great, and Topps used some rare photos instead of getting the usual ones.
 Two of my favorites, because...I don't think these two got many official releases in these uniforms. Or, in Marichal's case, he didn't get a REAL, non-airbrushed one. That look is a BEAUTY.

Also, now I can say I have some Retired Signature in my collection, with these three '03 ones. I dig the Goose.

 Early Heritage:

So...that guy who had the 10 cent bins I thought were 25 cent bins...he had MOUNTAINS of 2001-2003 Heritage commons. MOUNTAINS. If I'd known they weren't quarter bins, I would have gotten so much more, especially if I would have gone through his 2012-2016 Heritage assortments. I got a ton out of these, but...oh, I could have had more.

That whole pile? 3 bucks.


 These, anywhere else, may have been three bucks each. Late-era Rickey, especially Heritage late-era Rickey, is tough to come by.

 If I had my way, all four of these guys would be Hall of Famers. Next year, Vlad's a definite. Edgar has been getting traction, so he could be next. Roy...I hope I won't have to fight for him.

 Also, two different eras of Nomo.
Various guys I collect. All but Beckett played in Philly. 

 Personal favorites of mine, including (GASP) another McGriff.

 Throwback to the 2012 Phillies, I guess. Will never stop collecting these three. Never, ever.

 These guys are all still around! All but Beltre are playing currently! Poor Beltre. As a sidenote, check out that old-school Angels uni Lackey was rocking in...late 2000, I'm guessing. Also, nice to see Chase Utley cards existed in 2003.

 Giving Beltran his own because....this card is so cool...

 Dueling Bartolos. Nice to come across another Expos issue of his.

Two MEGA-MOJO cards for a while, each for 10 bucks. I'm still surprised the Mauers one was in there. That one usually goes for a few bucks. The Adrian is great, as that is clearly a minor league uniform with an M on the cap. It's very weird.

Stadium Club: 

THESE SEVEN...go toward my goal of finishing the 2014 Stadium Club set. I'm getting sort-of close, especially considering I landed the Hamilton and Marte for 25 each. Kaline's my favorite.

I lie...this one is my favorite. They look like the most badass guys in all of sports.

 Of course there was some 2017 SC, so I partook. Here's a few awesome mound shots. I dig how muted the Hamels is.

 Studio shots. Desmond's is fantastic, but Mallex' just makes me smile.

 HOFers. That Stargell is the BEST. Better than last year's.

 Dugout shots. Healy's has already been reported as the best, but Jon Gray and Julio Teheran have some truly fantastic ones as well.

My two favorites of the bunch. Evan Longoria with a football...and the most intimidating shot of Joey Votto that's ever been recorded.

Rookies:

Not only is this Jean Segura another awesome die-cut, but is a BowChro rookie of his from 2011, though not the ultimate rookie, still a pretty early issue of his. And that was only the cherry on top of the rookies I found at one specific quarter bin.

 Found these at two different dealers'. These are the two earliest cards of Edwin Encarnation. One, as Edwin never played a game in Texas, is a zero-year card.
I...never thought I would land this card for less than five dollars. But...25 cents, again, landed me Aroldis Chapman's official Reds Bowman rookie card. Which is pretty sweet.

 A few more nice ones- Yelich's isn't THE ultimate, but it's an early issue of his.
Nova's on the other hand...IS the ultimate rookie, from 2008 Bowman Chrome.
Gardy's...is ALSO the ultimate rookie, from Bowman DPP in 2005.
 This...is Jayson Werth's ultimate rookie. Also for 25 cents. As a Werth fan, I'm pretty proud of this one, as he's likely gonna go maybe one more year before throwing in the towel for good.

And yet...it didn't top the highlights...

Not one...but TWO R.A. Dickey XRCs. The one on the left I thought I'd only run into on the blogs. But...having two rookie cards of one of my favorites in the game right now...is a pretty nice feeling. Right next to the Pierre rookie..

So, that's how I did at the White Plains show. Not great, sure...but not too bad, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment