Thursday, June 27, 2019

Box Break: 2019 Topps Stadium Club (Part Two)


Yesterday we started this box, got our two hits (Jalen Beeks & Sean Reid-Foley), and pulled a lot of really cards. Today, we've got 8 more packs, 64 more cards, and a lot of fun, to get through.

So let's not waste anymore time.

 Pack 9-
Let's start with a familiar face from last half, Sean Reid-Foley, and a Dodger...also-ran at this point, Julio Urias

 I'm still a bit puzzled as to why Topps keeps making Will Clark cards, but...sure. Fine.
DeJong's and Gennett's are both interesting enough, but middling by SC standards.

 These two are fantastic. I love the lighting on that Cole card. Nick, the second you put the Berrios in a Frankenset poll, I am voting for it. It's that simple. It's the 2017 Tyler Skaggs card, but even more awesome.
SPEAKING OF AWESOME...

I love these inserts. Love love love. They are exactly the type of insert they used to make in the 90s, right down to the super-90s TSC logo. This is so 90s that I love it, and I wish I could pull more of these. Javy Baez is a great choice for it, too.

 Pack 10-
I like all of these. I love the finality of the Beltre, the contract between the gold and Stroman's white teeth, the rosin dust in Hamels', and the poignance of Yount's.

 Solid stuff here, but I dig the wide shot on the Laureano one.

This might be a top-10 card for me. Choo in Tampa. Beautiful.

 Pack 11-
the difference between a posed static shot and a candid static shot, right here. Straw looks kinda awkward. Wagner looks badass. This is late-career Honus, even.

I still love pulling Honus Wagner cards in 2019. Well done.

 A trio of pitchers. I love how off-centered Burnes' is, and I love the wide shot in Marquez'.

 Ohhh, I love both of these. Archer's is from his first game in Pittsburgh. Ripken's...is just a fun shot.

Another Power Zone, which is growing on me. Also, always nice to pull a Vladdie, and unlike his kid I actually have a chance at pulling a card of him in this set.

 Pack 12-
The Jackie photo, like the Murphy photo from last half, has been used before by Topps. Good news is the Jones is an early April shot, and the Anderson is a nice zoomed-in one from last year.

 All class here. Halladay's always welcome, Dans look dramatic, and Ohtani and Altuve just look cool.

I still love these. I just...I really love these.

...this one's of Trevor Story. And I still love these.

 Pack 13-
Another row of cards I love without being too showy. Murray's a solid legends card, Hoskins' is a great Players Weekend shot, and Musial's may be one of the most fun cards I've seen from this set.

 Hamilton and three rookie-ish things. Alonso's may be the bigger name, but I'm excited for every Willians Astudillo card I pull. And Calhoun's mohawk is hella cool.

Another cool SC base card from Pedroia. Once again, COULD THIS BE THE LAST EVER SC PEDROIA BASE CARD...aw, to hell with it, I have no idea, and neither does Pedroia.

 Pack 14- Three rather basic shots here. All three have played for the Cardinals.

 The shadow on Pham's is pretty awesome. I also love the decision to make Ray's a landscape.

 Both of these cards are amazing.

...but not my favorite of the pack...or of the whole set...

Not even close.

...Topps is gonna have to stay up all night in their photo archives next year to find a better photo than this one for Stadium Club. Lord almighty.

Worthy of Edgar's awesomeness, too.

 Pack 15-
Three very basic shots.
 Slightly less basic. Photography-wise, this one was a letdown. Cano's is pretty cool, though.
And this exciting little Ryan O'Hearn is our chrome parallel.

 Pack 16- Cobb's is alright, but I feel like I've seen this photo before. Duggar's and Wright's are alright commons.
 Two future HOFers. The Tiger in the back of Cabrera's is the MVP, though.

 Our last two base cards are two team icons, and two beauties. Bryant's is just...picturesque. So much to love. And Kershaw's is amazing because who doesn't love seeing Clydesdales on a baseball card?


...And we end with a good-old-fashioned case hit.

This is a Power Zone insert of Cal Ripken, which we sacrificed our second Beam Team for. This is, though, a red parallel of Power Zone, which is seeded one per case. So...this is kind of a huge deal, even if it's not numbered or anything.

So...on that actual case hit, we bring this genuinely great box of Stadium Club to a close. Lots to love about this set, with amazing base cards, a reinvigorated design, and relatively alright, if minimal, inserts. Genuinely happy with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment