Friday, April 20, 2012

100 Years Later...they're still terrible

One Hundred Years ago this past Saturday was the night that the Titanic gracefully descended into the waters below, as James Cameron led us to believe. Six days later would be the maiden voyage of the site of another perpetually sinking ship known as the Boston Red Sox. Fenway Park turns 100 years old today, and the big day is being celebrated by Eric Chavez jumping out of a cake and promptly hitting two homers against them.

While I kid the Red Sox, you have to admit it's been a very good 100 years. Legends such as Babe Ruth, Carl Yastrzemski, Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr have graced the field, and only the former has won a World Series. Classic World Series' such as the 1918, 2004 and 2007 have ended in triumph, while the ones in 1967, 1975 and 1986 have ended in defeat.

Aside from players, a huge, slobbering pack of fans call Fenway its home. The only thing they love more than the Red Sox is watching the Yankees lose, and said event has, unfortunately for me, occurred numerous times. But, I imagine, most Boston fans are very nice people, and treat opposing fans with general kidding around, right up until the point where they finish their third beer.

I have never experienced a Red Sox game at Fenway, and though I am very curious, I will likely travel their incogneto in a Boston jersey, preferrably one of a legend, than in my Jeter. Because then I'd just be asking for it. That's not to say I have a problem with Boston fans- I have some family up there, and an old college friend of my dad's happens to live up there (but he's a story for another post). Hell, there are even a few Sox fans in my town- one girl in my Spanish class always comes in with Boston colors. So I don't hate the fans-- just the team.

So I guess it's kinda nice that Fenway's turning 100, and the ballpark is very high on my list of Stadiums I need to visit (behing Wrigley and Great American Ballpark, the latter I might visit this summer). And as much as I love making fun of the Red Sox over and over (and over and over), I still can stop and appreciate that they've been going strong for 100 years.

Okay, scratch that. They've been going strong for about 10 years, but the other 90 the mailed it in and went weak.

(P.S.- Please don't kill me, Boston fans)

No comments:

Post a Comment