Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Hall of Fame Results 2019: One Insanely Satisfying Class

So...I was expecting a casually good turnout for this HOF class. But...this is unprecedented.

Not only did four people get into the Baseball Hall of Fame today, when I'd figured we'd just get a solid three, but...all four people are players I genuinely enjoyed watching, and very wholesome figures in my collection. Like, I knew we were getting into the years where i'd have a deeper connection with the inductees, but...not like this.

So let's start with the biggest surprise: Mike Mussina is now a Hall of Famer. I predicted he'd get at least like 73 percent this year, and I questioned whether he'd make it in this year, especially in a year where Halladay would probably be getting in. Apparently too much stellar pitching is never enough, and Moose got in with 76%, a close but important entry. Moose's thing was dominance, consistency, and stamina. He didn't have many down seasons, and he was very rarely injured, and he just stood there and threw fire. There's not much else to it, really. He's probably in as an Oriole, but I'd love to see him sneak in as a Yankee.

And then we have Halladay, which is one that I'm glad happened, even if I didn't think it'd be confirmed he'd be a first-ballot guy. Halladay pitched for my team and did more in four seasons than most Phillies do over an entire career (looking at you, Maikel). The no-hitters were a nice touch, but from 2000 to 2011, he was legitimately one of the most powerful pitchers in the game, and was one of the most impressive strikeout artists of his era. It's a shame he left us before he could see the results.

Edgar and Mo I saw coming, though. Edgar, because the fanbase wouldn't let him miss it this year, and because with Baines in, the era of the DH in Cooperstown had finally come. And Mo, because...dammit, he's Mariano Rivera. He's an iconic closer, and no one can dispute that. The unanimous numbers all but confirm that.

These are four names I'm happy made it to Cooperstown. An insanely deserving bunch, and a good chunk of my collection as well. I can't see the 2020 class coming especially close, even if Derek Jeter waltzes in with unanimous numbers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment