Friday, June 29, 2018

A Pretty Awesome Blaster of 2018 Topps Stadium Club



You have...NO CONCEPTION...of the amount of Targets and Wal-Marts I ventured to over the last few days in order to find Stadium Club. It was nearly a nationwide search. I felt like Winona Ryder in Stranger Things, bursting into places with scraggly hair and a worried expression, scaring the hell out of employees (of course, that's also what she did after the shoplifting accusations, but I digress).

Eventually...today...I found what I was looking for. 2018 Stadium Club. Undoubtedly the set TO break this year, as everything else is on autopilot. Shiny base designs, cool inserts, fun hits. It's a guaranteed win no matter what happens.

I'm opening a blaster today...and then I have another blaster planned for tomorrow. And that's not even close to the end of the 2018 Stadium Club coverage on this blog. Here now is Blaster #1. 8 packs of 5 cards, so I'm not expecting a TON, but I am expecting something fun.

Pack #1-
Initially, when this set came out, I balked at the base design, thinking it was too simple, and too easy. But, seeing it on cards, I think...it's alright. It's definitely more minimalistic than even the last few, and the 2016 design is still my favorite, but this is still pretty clean, and I like the BIG TRANSLUCENT POSITION on there.

These base photos are standard for SC, but would be preferred to flagship. CHIPPAH is my first insert, as he NEVER COMPROMISES. Decent enough design, even if it does evoke memories of the back end of the SC original run.

These two...I absolutely adore. Not only because they count as wins for my team collection, but also because...I mean look at them! The Rivera benefits from its wide shot, and looks like the final shot of a biopic film. The Sevvy has all the intensity of a Sevvy performance, as he's about to strike out a Baltimore Oriole. These cards have all the passion and emotion you'd expect from these two players.

I'm one pack in, and I'm already won over. How about that?

Pack 2-

All three are great photos, though McGwire's is probably the weakest. I may be biased because I don't like McGwire. The Bench is extraordinary, and I love the Andrus because of the backlighting. Such an intricate photo.

No inserts in this pack, but these two photos make up for it. The Tanaka adds to my streak of pulling 3 OUTRAGEOUS Yankee pitcher photos, and I love the grace and dramatic element of this one, especially with the Yankee Stadium emblem in the background. The Dozier is equally dramatic, and exceptionally well framed. Already, from a photographer's standpoint this set already has an A+.

 Pack 3-

Two fun static shots of some very fun players. I love the way the light hits Thor's hair, but I'm giving Mauer the edge because of the joy that's contrasted with the grey weather.

This pack did come with an insert, a POWER ZONE of J.D. Martinez, which...yeah, that makes sense, as well as a 90s-esque shot of Matt Olson, and a uniformly great shot of Max Scherzer.


Pack 4-
I'm shelling out the base cards in one heap, and you'll understand why in a second. Billy Hamilton's is pedestrian compared to his usual SC issues, and it's great to see Lorenzo Cain in a Brewers uniform. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that Rickey card, not only because of the great hustle photo, but because we barely get cards of Rickey as a Yankee.

Of course, that wasn't the highlight of the pack...


So...typically when I pull a hit out of this product, I get someone I've never heard of. Some prospect that's buried in Cleveland's farm system, some Cubs infielder that hasn't played since 2015, some guy who's great for a year and then never pans out.

Which is why this got a genuine reaction out of me. It's not only someone who's well-known...but it's Darryl Strawberry. One of the best players of the 80s, and a guy who won rings with the Mets AND the Yankees. Of course, his career took a downslide when Homer Simpson pinch-hit for him and hit an inside-the-parker to win the championship. 

Regardless of later real-world woes, Darryl Strawberry was a great player, and I'm genuinely pleased to have pulled an ON-CARD autograph of the man.

Woo. Okay. There is more box to get to, somehow.

 Pack 5-
Generally more commonplace photos here, but I dig the Baez.

These saved the pack. It's nice enough that I'm FINALLY getting a card of Miguel Andujar, well into his whirlwind rookie season, but the Kershaw insert isn't bad. Like the others, it doesn't really take advantage of foil or dufex or die-cutting, but it's still an inspired enough insert, and better than anything I'll pull out of flagship.

 Pack 6- A lot of camo in one pack. The Mejia is a red parallel, which comes every 7 packs, so...one per blaster, really. Kind of a no-name, though.

These two might be our MVPs this year, so it's nice that Topps gave them both AWESOME photos for their SC base cards. Great lighting on both of them.

 Pack 7-
Two guys I don't really collect, but Doc got a really nice photo.

These guys I DO collect, and they all got nice stuff here. the Beam Team insert is cut from the same cloth as the last few years', and it DOES use foil and looks cool. Ozzie Albies and Nick Williams have great, fun rookie cards here. 

Pack 8- Not exactly a high note to end on star-wise, but the photography here is worth it for this mostly-rookie pack. Blackburn's has the most dramatic photo, but I LOVE Dillon Peters', especially since the nighttime quality of it raises the stakes. The Hays and Smith ones are pretty fun too.

That was...a pretty awesome blaster from a great product. Check back tomorrow and see what I pulled in the second blaster.

1 comment:

  1. Are you willing to trade the Francisco Meija and Trevor Bauer cards? My email is tim(underscore)gretchen(underscore)marriage AT yahoo.com

    Thanks, Tim

    ReplyDelete