Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Stars are Out RETURNS!


A few years ago, if any of you might recall, I started series of independently-designed custom cards, called The Stars Are Out, showcasing 2015 first pitches, from celebrities, sports stars, team legends, and etc. I made the set with the intention that Topps 2015' 'First Pitch' insert set would be a fluke thing, and a lot of the ones I would be making would take the place of such an endeavor from Topps.

Well...Topps went and made more First Pitch cards for 2016 anyway, and made some of my Stars are Out cards, like Carrie Brownstein, Jeff Tweedy, Nina Agdal, Abby Wambach, and Jim Harbaugh, obsolete. So, if Topps were gonna keep doing them, I figured I wouldn't need to, and promptly stopped making them.

And then...in 2018, despite the fan following for the First Pitch set, the inserts vanished, replaced by other unnecessary insert sets. There were no First Pitch issues for the majority of 2017 ones, as well as the ones taking place this year.

And so...once again...I felt the need to bring the Stars are Out set out of retirement, and start making them again.

So, I'm starting with this guy. Jalen Brunson, Villanova's secret weapon, and a surefire future NBA-er, dishing one out for the Cubs. Why Brunson first? Because, and this is a fun fact...I played him in little league a few times when I was a kid. His dad Rick was living in Philly for a split second, and so Jalen was in my little league. And, although I don't recall this, he and I played against each other a few times. So hopefully he goes onto great things, knowing that he and I were opponents before any of the NCAA teams he bested.

These will be appearing sporadically over the next stretch of time. Expect a new one every few days.

1 comment: