Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Return of the Grande Box: The Phillies

As discussed, the two teams I primarily claimed in these Nachos Grande Breaker's Club breaks I got the results back from this week were my two allegiances, the Yankees and Phillies. I will go through the Phillies highlights first, because there's a bit less of them.

Since these boxes spanned the 90s, early 00s and last few years, there were a lot of Phillies I collect hiding in this shipment. There was only 1 Ryan Howard, but it was a rookie card of his from 2005 Playoff Prestige. 

 
Sadly, the 2008 World Championship team wasn't too represented in these findings, but there were some key members. Even some rookie-esque material for J-Rol and Pat the Bat from 2000 Bowman.

Yes, there were Jim Thome cards as well. Fleer InScribed is a set that was trying to resemble SP Authentic but was very much a Fleer set.

Of course Bobby Abreu made some appearances. Separated by whether or not the people making the cards knew he preferred 'Bobby'. 

Requisite Dutch issues. I like that Chris went for odder 90s sets, like 1996 Select and Leaf. 

And, as there were a lot of 90s boxes, lots of Scott Rogen, which I'm not complaining about. It also gives you a chance to see how much Pacific product got ripped, which...yeah, quite a bit. I'd never seen an actual base card from 1998 Invincible, and I didn't know they had fairly simple base cards in addition to the translucent cut-out ones that everyone knows. 

Hall of Famers abound. Bunning was a giveaway insert from 1998 Tradition, Alexander was from DK, Schmidt was from last year's Archives. 

And yes, that means I got a good supply of modern Phils as well. Not only that, but from sets I don't get a lot of, like Topps Our Lawyers Would Prefer Us To Call The Set GQ, and A&G Chrome. 

Lots of rookies though, as is custom for modern Topps. This means guys who are still with the team, like Nick Maton, and guys who've been traded, like Spencer Howard.

Even more. Williams is long gone from Philly, though his big debut in 2021 made for his inclusion in lots of 2022 products. Moniak and Vierling are still valid rookie picks, though I wish Topps would have had more photo choices for Moniak.

Yes, there were Andrew McCutchen cards, too.

Current heroes Rhys and Wheels. I'm glad Chris netted the majority of the GQ team sets for me.

JT and Nola, two guys that should have been All Stars this year. 

And, of course, the man above the Marquee. Most of these were new. The Donruss throwback one was not only an appreciated inclusion with a great throwback,

But it came with a nickname variation, which I don't think Chris marked in the package. Either way, an awesome pull that I'm definitely holding onto. 

Tomorrow, you'll see the Yankees that came about in this package.

1 comment:

  1. That's a real nice Donruss card, and I can't believe I typed that.

    ReplyDelete