Saturday, July 23, 2022

Wrong Elvis at the Wrong Time

 


One of the biggest movies of the summer is about a guy named Elvis. Unfortunately, it's not the one playing shortstop in Oakland. And if it was, it would get about as much people to show up as most A's games. I don't think any movie would want that.

I get the sense that I've already run out of things to say about this A's team. Look, the cycle keeps repeating itself. They build a team up, bolster it with smart GM moves, go for broke, lose, then let everybody go and start again. We are in the latter stage of this plan. And right now, they don't even have much to start with. Two of the pieces they received in exchange for their stars, Cristian Pache and Kevin Smith, are in the minors right now. And two of the pieces that are performing well this year, Frankie Montas and Paul Blackburn, might be gone in a week or so. 

And what will remain? Not a whole hell of a lot. But I am relatively certain that Elvis Andrus is gonna stick around. Yes, this is the end of his contract, and yes, he is still a relatively decent defensive player, but...I don't know if any teams want him. There are better SS options out there, I think. I don't exactly look at 2022-era Elvis Andrus as someone who can help teams compete. I think he's needed in Oakland helping these kids round out the season, and maybe ending this A's run with a little dignity. I could be wrong, somebody could snag him for one-upmanship's sake. Hell, maybe Dombrowski tries to get him. Who knows at this rate? 

But then if Andrus leaves, they have even less. I don't really think Seth Brown and Sean Murphy are the best remnants of a past movement to keep around. Laureano, Pinder and Kemp are having down years. A lot of the best performers on this team are bullpen pieces like Sam Moll, Domingo Acevedo and AJ Puk, which...it's good that this team has a decent bullpen, but I'd really have hoped the rest of the team would be decent as well first. At least Stephen Vogt can stop by and hit some home runs or whatever, but I think he might be done after this year. There really just isn't a lot going on here, and I don't think anything's gonna emerge once the deadline ends. 

It's sad that the A's are so miserable right now, especially after the last few years. But that's where this team is at- the emphasis is on a new stadium, not a new world series ring. And so they'll get the stadium first.

Coming Tonight: His team was getting hot before the break, and he's just solidified his spot as a key member of the infield.

No comments:

Post a Comment