Thursday, July 14, 2022

Return of the Grande Box: The Yankees

 

Like usual with these Breakers Clubs I go out for from Nachos Grande, I always expected to do well in the Yankee section, and that I certainly did. With the width of different boxes, as well as the foray into more Pacific stuff [of which I've gotten stuff from solely by doing these breaks], I've been using these to build my Yankee collection even more than it already was. 

Another Tim Raines Yankees card, from 1999 Pacific, is always welcome. 


Like with the Phils, there were a lot of modern Yanks to go through first. These breaks yielded stuff both from much-heralded rookies and since-traded stars.

While Clarke Schmidt has settled in as a long-man, Deivi Garcia has yet to return to the majors, and the belief is he may not anytime soon. 

These boxes also helped boost my collections of the new Yankees from last deadline. Rizzo has done extremely well in New York. Gallo has not.

A few Sanchez's for the road, and some new Giancarlos. That Obsidian insert from 2021 Chronicles is pretty cool.

Lots of Gleybers. He looks great on that Big League insert.

Lots of LeMahieus. That Score one, well-designed as it is, just makes me wish Panini could somehow strike a deal to get logos, because their products are way more inspired than Topps'.

Some Coles. A few of these, like the 2020 Heritage High and the 2020 GQ, are from before Topps knew Cole would be able to grow out his hair in New York, so he just looks oddly photoshopped. The 2022 Donruss one is an unnumbered blue parallel.

And of course, some Judges. Not a lot of insane ones [yet], but a few of these were new to me.

Before we get into the 90s Yanks portion of the results, some Hall of Famers. Babes from all eras. 

A few Boggs's. Again, 1998 Pacific Invincible is a strange set because it had an entire base set I had no idea existed til these breaks.

Only a few Mussinas, but both welcome.

I've figured out recently that I want to start collecting some of the Yankee heroes that I'd cast off for not being Hall of Famers. That includes people like David Cone, who had a great career, and helped the Yanks notch some rings. That 98 Tradition Smoke 'n Heat subset is a cool one.

That also includes Tino Martinez, who my dad is still convinced didn't start hitting as a Yankee until I started going to games. That Tale of the Tape one is cool too. 1998 Tradition had underrated inserts and subsets. 

And some Paul O'Neill ones. That 98 Tradition retro one is also pretty cool. 

Quite a few Matsui cards here. Chris broke a box of 2003 Playoff Update, which was a rookie-based addendum to several of their 2003 sets, including Leaf, Donruss and Team Heroes. It's...an odd set, because it's just rookies, and not all of them had careers. Thankfully Matsui sure did...

As did Chien-Ming Wang, one of those underrated Yankees I still collect, who looks awesome on all of these. I had no idea they put out a 2003 Diamond King of him either, that's awesome.

As for other Yankee heroes, not too many Posadas or Sorianos, but at least that 2000 Bowman one is a rookie-ish thing.

A whole page worth of Pettittes, including a 1998 Pacific Invincible cut-out insert, another awesome Smoke 'n Heat subset, and a lot of great cards of his pitching style. 

Good number of Riveras too. I love how happy he is on the 1998 Fleer Tradition one.

Page o'Bernies. Needed all of these, I think. So good at making great cardboard. 

And, of course, a mess of Jeter's. I had the regular 98 Tradition, but I didn't have the retro one. That 99 Pacific one is also a great shot. 

And some perks, including the cooler 98 Invincible subset, a 99 Pacific photo variation, and a rookie card [sort of] from 1996 Leaf. Awesome stuff all around.

Tomorrow, I'll show off the inserts and hits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment