Sunday, August 19, 2018

The A's Are Beginning to Scare Me


First of all, let me start with a nice compliment, and for the A's, I have several. Because this is a team I generally like, and I generally enjoy whenever they do well. So...the faux-retro uniforms they're doing this year? I love 'em. I know that these vests aren't EXACTLY the style of their 1969-on look, but the facsimile is there, and the exact type of green is awesome. I also love the FULL GREEN uniforms, the ones that are kinda 70s-ish, but not quite. I dunno, I'm just a fan of vibrant colors.

I also like underdog teams, and this year's A's? Oh my god. They're tied with the Astros atop the division, they've won like clockwork since mid-June, where they had a four-losses-in-a-row spat that they swore they'd never replicate. They haven't lost more than 3 in a row since, and they've had bevies of wins, lapping Seattle, and matching a slowly-deflating Astros team. Which...considering that the Astros are among the most powerful teams in the league? That's incredible.

The team, from basically nothing, has become unstoppable: the Chapman-Olson duo has reached its apex; Khris Davis is still hitting a ton of home runs; rookies like Ramon Laureano and Nick Martini are aiding the offensive; bench players like Chad Pinder and Mark Canha are making the leap to starting; the double play combo of Semien and Lowrie is still pretty potent. This lineup has become a home run hitting giant, and has excelled offensively where they'd floundered in years past.

Plus...the pitching, another factor that disappointed last year, has been outstanding. Sean Manaea has leveled his ERA, Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson are pitching like it's 2009, Edwin Jackson is having a comeback year in his 13th uniform, and Mike Fiers is arguably pitching better than he did in Detroit...or Houston. Plus, the bullpen augmentations (Fernando Rodney, Jeurys Familia and Shawn Kelley) are aiding an already sharp 'pen, with Lou Trivino, Ryan Buchter and Blake Treinen being especially untouchable.

So...why are they beginning to scare me? Because if the Astros come back, they're gaining on the 2nd Wild Card spot, and they have momentum that the Yankees do not have. The A's, right now, would win a Yanks-A's WC game. And if the A's do win the AL East, and the Yankees have to play the Astros...I'm not certain they'd win that either.

The A's epic rise may, in fact, mean the Yankees' downfall. And as much as I love this A's team...it's not the best news for my Yankees.

Coming Tonight: The NL West race thickens. An infielder for the current 1st place holder fends off the two other contenders.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of baseball left to be played. The Yankees and Astros have much more talent than my beloved Athletics. It will be interesting to see how things play out. It's so hard for me to make predictions involving the A's, since I don't think anyone saw them being anything more than a .500 team. I've been waiting for them to come down to earth since early July... and they keep on truckin' along. Since they lost to the Angels on June 15th, they've gone an insane 40-13. When will the insanity stop? Who knows. But I'm sure hoping they keep things rolling all the way through October. Go A's!

    ReplyDelete