Thursday, November 3, 2022

Game 4: The Other Shoe Drops

 


There's a terrible SNL sketch where Kenan Thompson plays a high school student who keeps getting injured every time his classmates convince him he can walk without crutches or a wheelchair or something, and every time this happens, he falls, and then he does a minute-long angry monologue through tears, mostly consisting of 'GO AWAY', 'LEAVE ME BE' and 'GEDDAWAYFROMEARHE' and things of this nature. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I feel very similar to Kenan Thompson in this sketch right now. I had the will to believe, the exact same thing that has happened already this year happened again on a larger stage, and now I just want everyone to go away. 

Folks....honestly, I've got nothing. I figured the Astros would get to Nola, I figured the Phillies wouldn't be able to hit Javier, I figured the Astros' bullpen would be stronger than ours. I just...I dunno, I kinda thought last night meant we wouldn't get no-hit, or even shut out, anymore. It's the same as it's been all year, the Phillies will have a tremendous game where everyone shows, and then they'll get absolutely embarrassed right when everyone believes in them.

It just goes to show that, even if the Astros rank Cristian Javier lower in the rotation, he's still absolutely filthy, and can have nights like this anytime he wants. This is his second no-hitter of the year, and people are still gonna underrate him. I think he's gonna play a much larger role in this rotation next year, especially with Verlander potentially not being in the picture next year. 

As for the Phils...mother of god I hope this isn't the turning point. Getting no-hit has gotta be the low point of this Series, right? We've gotta use that to never give them the opportunity to embarrass us again, right? This seemed like such a possibility, and now it's evaporated before our eyes and now here we are...really feeling as small as the sportswriters have made us feel this entire postseason. That'd be a shitty way to go, right? 

I hope that tonight's game is a ton better. We deserve one last chance to give the Philly crowd a show, and in the baby blue throwbacks as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment