Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Nostalgic Box Break: 1993 Stadium Club Series 1 (Part 3)

Today we wrap 93 Series One, and I'll say that I enjoyed this break. I enjoyed this set, too, and I feel like it was the last of the golden age of Stadium Club, before the little detour into risks and outlandish designs from 94 to 97. I may end up trying to track down a box of Series 2 one of these days, but maybe not for a little while.

Onto the last eight packs.

Pack 17-
Cards I needed: 0/14
Doubles: 14/14
Doubles of Hall of Famers: 0/14
ARGHs: 2/14

Pack 18-
Cards I needed: 4/14
Cards I needed that were actually notable: 0/4
Doubles: 10/14

Pack 19-
Doubles: 9/14
Cards I actually needed: 4/14
Inserts: 1/14
Expansion Teams: 1/14
Photo highlights. The darkness really suits Ben McDonald here, as the lights would go out on his career a short time later.
Rick Wrona's card is pretty cool. A shame I've never heard of him.
A very nice field shot on Phil Plantier's card.
Hey, guess what kids? Back in 1993 the Marlins were called the Florida Marlins, wore all teal, and were a new team. This was the one Marlin I got in the whole box, and while I wish it were somebody cool like Trevor Hoffman, I got Nigel Wilson, their first round expansion draft pick, whose post-this achievements are nonexistent. But that gradient.

Pack 20-
Cards I needed: 13/14
Doubles: 1/14
Potential Hall of Famers: 1/14
Perturbed Headshots: 1/14

Juan Bell's card has a nice infield shot. Matt Williams is a season away from embarking on a strike-shortened hitting streak, and he looks pretty damn pleased about it. Don Slaught has a nice catcher's gear shot. Gary Thurman does not want to be here.

Meanwhile, Sheff is flexing on this Members Choice card. In a span of months he would be decked out in teal for the Marlins. But at least he could let his guns out in Florida too.

Pack 21-
Cards I needed: 4/14
Doubles: 10/14
Doubles of Hall of Famers: 1/14
Doubles of 3000 Hit Club members: 2/14 (see cooperstown voters? see?)

Jeez, Matt Nokes was still a Yankee in 1993? Wow. Ya learn something new everyday.
Meanwhile, Rick Sutcliffe has a nice shot in Camden Yards, behind the batting practice netting.
Pack 22-
Cards I actually needed: 10/14
Doubles: 4/14
Doubles of HOFers: 1/14
Borderline Hall of Famers: 1/14
People who should have been kept on the Hall of Fame ballot for more than one year: 1/14 (sorry Kenny)

The highlights include a high-flying Carlos Baerga, a Members Choice of the current Chicago White Sox manager, a card of Kenny Lofton stealing a base, and a card of Mike Mussina pre-Yanks.

Pack 23-
Doubles: 7/14
Cards I needed: 7/17
Studio shots: 2/14
Overhyped rookies that went nowhere: 1/14
Underhyped rookies with two World Series rings and tons of fans: 1/14
Players I adore: 1/14

Lou Whittaker is severely underrated, and this shot is another awesome one for him. Also, Brent Mayne's shot here is very mysterious, under a darkened sky and blackened stadium lights.

The two big cards are a Tim Wakefield rookie card and a card of Jim Thome. Both are pretty nice, especially for the penultimate pack.
Pack 24-
Cards I needed: 4/14
Doubles: 10/14
Notable cards I needed: 0/4

This brings my ratio of cards pulled to cards in the set to 219:300, which is about 73% of the set, which is not bad at all. The other 27% is not hard to come by, especially in a blogosphere. Want list will likely be up within the week.

So, that was 1993 Stadium Club Series 1. It was fun, it was badly-collated, it was classic, it was better than 2014 Topps.

...which reminds me, I need to get some 2014 Topps.

No comments:

Post a Comment