Saturday, September 15, 2012

3.5 games back

 

Baseball is a crazy sport. It's also an unpredictable one.

It took bonafide lunatics to convince me, back in May, that the Phillies would wind up in the playoffs. And by a bonafide lunatics, I mean several die-hard Phils fans who live in my neighborhood.  Could they not see the standings? Could they not glance at the scoreboard? The Phillies were declining, and fast. Their stars were injured, their other stars were gone, and their team was aging, and inexperienced. I honestly couldn't see them fighting for a playoff spot.

As I've said many times before, I never get tired of being wrong.

As of today, the Phillies are 3 and a half games behind the Wild Card frontrunners. The phrase being uttered all around my town is simply "It could happen". Because it certainly could. I don't see them clinching the East, but they could theoretically end up in the playoffs anyway.

If they do, it will make the 2012 season one of the most insane seasons in baseball history. A losing Red Sox team! A winning Orioles, A's and Nationals teams! The Angels circling last! The Yankees fighting to stay in it! A rookie being even better than Bryce Harper! It's all incredibly crazy. 

The Phillies getting that wild card would only add to the craziness. If it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment