Thursday, September 13, 2012

Custom Card of the Day: Lillibridge Edition

 

Nobody goes out and tries to create someone's Twitter photo. Intentionally, that is. 

You can make artwork, and it can be awesome, but the #1 goal is never for it to end up as someone's twitter photo. It's just a bonus. You see something you made as someone's twitter photo, and say "well how about that..." It's never really what you wanted in the first place.

Last year, what I wanted in the first place, as with any custom, was to make it look so good that it would be prized by the player depicted. Of course, that was an exaggeration. But it happened.  Last year, around this time, a fan of mine, (aka The Fan), who has been one of my more loyal followers, and who always gives me awesome requests, gave me one I couldn't refuse.

He wanted me to make a custom of a player he was pretty friendly with. Brent Lillibridge. I obviously couldn't pass this up, so I whipped a nice one up, and sent it to the fan. Within a week he showed it to Lillibridge, who loved it, and put it as his Twitter photo.

So that was the highlight of my 2011. Someone used a custom as their Twitter photo. A baseball player saw one of my customs and liked it. That was probably more than I would have asked for.

Flash forward a year. Brent Lillibridge has gone through 3 teams in one year, dealt to Boston for Kevin Youkilis, and claimed off waivers by the Indians. He's playing well, but not like 2011 well. I'll say that he's still as tremendously fun to watch as in the past.

A week or so ago, The Fan gave me a request to do another Lillibridge custom, this one for the Indians. And I immediately said "YEAH!" This was while I was staying in a hotel near Baltimore, so the when I got home that was on the slate. I got a really nice photo, a great design, and hit save. And I sent it to the Fan, and he loved it.

And that's the story so far.

I'll say this: I'm not hoping for a sequel. I mean I am, but I'm not intending to enforce any decisions. I'm not dead set on the same baseball player using another custom of mine as his Twitter photo. Whatever happens happens. I don't know if anything's been shared, or anything. I don't want to assume anything, because it makes an ass of you and me, as we all know.

However...I'll be checking Brent's Twitter page constantly, just in case.

Coming Tomorrow- I need to make more. Any requests?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love it! I have shared it with Brent. Going to print it out on nice paper and gift it to his parents. They'll love it. As for suggestions - one of my favorite Dodgers who flies under the radar is catcher AJ Ellis. An update Josh Beckett would be cool too.

    ReplyDelete